Prominent Republican donor pledges support for Clinton, former congressman Allen West delivers counter-perspective in guest lecture

Lieutenant Colonel Allen West, former congressman of Florida’s 22nd District spoke to The Election class Tuesday night about Donald Trump and the state of the country. Hunter Crenian // Staff Photographer

Lieutenant Colonel Allen West, former congressman of Florida’s 22nd district spoke to The Election class Tuesday night about Donald Trump, along with Republican donor Mike Fernández and Democratic Congressman Patrick Murphy. Hunter Crenian // Staff Photographer

South Florida billionaire Mike Fernández, founder of MBF Healthcare Partners and noted Republican donor, gave students in The Election class a rounded perspective of issues leading up to the general election weeks away.

Throughout the discussion Fernández called out Republican candidate Donald Trump and spoke about his personal experience with the businessman-turned-politician.

“I am a Republican; I have not switched parties, but I think Donald Trump is a dangerous man. My son says that when I exaggerate issues, that I am ‘Cubanizing’ them. I speak as frankly and logically as I can, when I say that Donald Trump is the most dangerous man in United States history,” said Fernández. “More dangerous than World War I, World War II, the Iraq war and the war in Vietnam, because this time, the enemy is from within.”

Among being called one of the “50 Most Influential Latino Republicans” by Newsweek, Fernández, a Cuban-American immigrant, was also named one of the all-time most prolific political donors by the New York Times.

Fernandez shared a story about when he met Trump. According to Fernández, they met at a restaurant where Trump was giving the waiter “a hard time” about their order.

“I said to him: ‘You know Donald, this man is just trying to make his way in life. You should cut him some slack,’” said Fernández.

According to Fernández, Trump said “He has no excuse, he works for me.” Due to their initial encounter, Fernández said he “cannot support a man like that.” Despite not having met Democratic candidate Hillary Clinton, he has donated $7 million dollars to her electoral campaign.

Fernández spoke about the power of money in politics. As a heavyweight donor, he said he has access to prominent figures in politics that most people don’t.

“Politicians respond to money. This is a fact,” Fernández said.

Democratic Congressman Patrick Murphy joined Fernández and spoke with students briefly about his bid for the Florida Senate in the upcoming election. Murphy spoke about investing in climate change and education as being a necessity for the U.S. to adapt to changing conditions.

Murphy noted the personal relationship he shared with Mr. Fernández, and said he knew him from an early age.

“My friend, Mr. Fernández, did not come to this country because of Republicans or Democrats. He came because of the American flag, and the opportunity within,” Murphy said.

In a separate discussion following the two guests, Lieutenant Colonel Allen West, former congressman of Florida’s 22nd district, gave a counter-perspective on Donald Trump and the state of the country. West spoke about his worries for the state of the country because of voter behaviors.

“People vote based on impulse, and not based on a thought as to the direction of the country,” he said.

Although West is voting for Trump, he said his support for the candidate is wavering as he disagrees with a number of platforms which the candidate has adopted.

The speakers served as a continuation of the course “The Election,” which brings in noted guest speakers to personally meet students and answer questions as they pertain to the upcoming election and politics at large.

Alexander Berne

Fredrick Eaford was quick to make it clear the Miami Hurricanes were his dream team to commit to. Af ...

Linebacker might be the most important position for the Miami Hurricanes to recruit in the Class of ...

Issiah Walker Jr. won’t be at Paradise Camp on Saturday. Instead of attending the Miami Hurricanes’ ...

June is a huge recruiting month for the Miami Hurricanes. It concludes with Paradise Camp on June 22 ...

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Evo Morales, first elected president of Bolivia in 2005, and could win an unprecedented fourth term ...

The University of Miami Black Alumni Society is hosting a number of Juneteenth events around the cou ...

The University of Miami Rosenstiel School’s Rescue a Reef program teams up with the NFL and others t ...

The Frost Chopin Festival and Academy at the University of Miami provides unparalleled experiences f ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

The Miami women's basketball team will face Indiana at the Watsco Center in the 2019 Big Ten/AC ...

The University of Miami volleyball program is set to host the Hurricane Invitational and nine ACC ho ...

Games will be contested July 3-14 in Naples, Italy. ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...