Bottle-throwing incident at FSU game signals return of notorious Canes swagger

The score was 20-13 with a few minutes left in the fourth quarter when Jamal Carter was called for targeting FSU wide receiver Kermit Whitfield. What ensued was a level of rowdiness the likes of which I’ve never seen in my six years of attending Miami Hurricanes games.

I’m no NCAA rules expert, so I won’t try to debate whether or not this call was correct. The most astounding part of the situation was the fan reaction. After the call had been reviewed and upheld, fans began throwing bottles onto the field. Projectiles were thrown from all areas of the stadium to protest the “bad” call. While this posed somewhat of a danger to photographers, cheerleaders and staff of both teams stationed on the sidelines, it was a gutsy move.

It’s unlikely that this call would have elicited the same reaction had it been any other game. Our rivalry with FSU is one of dedicated hatred and as such, the stakes are higher. Pride and dignity were on the line. When you play a rival, you never want to leave the fate of the game in the hands of the officials. Unfortunately, protesting the officials’ calls does little to change their minds. In fact, Miami could have been penalized for the bottle throwing incident.

After years of being stifled by NCAA sanctions and losses against less-than-worthy opponents, Miami fans have suffered through quite a bit in recent years. We are a fan base that knows what it wants. Need I remind anyone of the “Fire Al Golden” banner planes? Even though we know our protest wouldn’t change anything, we made our voices heard – albeit in disrespectful and dangerous way, but we did it nonetheless.

Part of what makes college football so much fun is the rowdiness surrounding it. This rowdiness has been noticeably lacking from the Miami Hurricanes in the past few years. With a new coaching staff whom many believe will lead us back to greatness, the bottle-throwing protest harkened back to our years of true swagger.

I’m talking about back when our players exited the plane for the 1987 Fiesta Bowl wearing fatigues, or when they celebrated every good play with hand gestures and dance moves. While these reactions and statements certainly aren’t the most respectful (or safe) ways to play the game, they contribute to the swagger with which we identify. Nobody ever said college football was classy, and the Canes certainly never have been. The bottle-throwing incident just confirmed that our notorious, in-your-face swagger is on the cusp of a triumphant return.

Dana McGeehan is a junior majoring in history and media management.

Dana McGeehan

June is a huge recruiting month for the Miami Hurricanes. It concludes with Paradise Camp on June 22 ...

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

George Stewart had a big problem, and little time to solve it. It was Week 6 of the 2018 season, and ...

One of the interesting subplots of this Hurricanes season will be watching the evolution of a bunch ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami Libraries offer readers multiple ways to access the books, which are popular ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Martin Grosell weighs in on how marine life in the Gulf could be affect ...

Varona, an attorney and educator who specializes in administrative law, communications and media law ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...

Courtney spent nine years previously on Jim Larranaga's staff from 1996-2005. ...

The University of Miami track and field program received 17 All-America honors at the conclusion of ...