Blogs, The View

The View: Give Netflix a break with these hilarious books

I get it – you’re a college student. The thought of reading makes you cringe because you immediately think about the dusty textbook you haven’t opened all semester. Instead of binge-watching your favorite sitcom on Netflix, pick up one of these hilarious books to pass the time.

“Bossypants” by Tina Fey

There is no one better than Tina Fey and her book proves it. She will make you laugh out loud and wish “30 Rock” never ended. It may be the oldest book on this list, but it’s easily a classic.

“Paddle Your Own Canoe” by Nick Offerman

Nick Offerman is Ron Swanson and it’s amazing. If you miss “Parks and Recreation” as much as the next person, this book will make you miss it even more. The humor is as dry and great as you’d expect, and there’s some wise advice weaved through, too.

“Yes Please” by Amy Poehler

If you’ve ever wondered how Amy made her way into the hearts of everyone who’s watched something she’s created, this is the book to read. She gives advice on comedy and life and it was more or less the book of my dreams – there’s even a guest chapter by Seth Meyers.

“The Girl with the Lower Back Tattoo” by Amy Schumer

If you don’t love Amy Schumer already, this book will make you fall for her even more. She’s unapologetically hilarious and you’re not going to want to put it down. Chase this book with a couple episodes of “Inside Amy Schumer” and you’ll never look back.

“Uganda Be Kidding Me” by Chelsea Handler

Chelsea Handler on an African safari. Nothing else needs to be said.

“Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (And Other Concerns)” by Mindy Kaling

This book is everything you didn’t know you needed. Mindy Kaling from the days of “The Office” is the best Mindy. She writes about her pre-fame days and how awkward she was growing up and she just makes you want to be her best friend, as if you didn’t want to already.

“Why Not Me?” by Mindy Kaling

A more-famous Mindy writes about “The Mindy Project” and follows up with better jokes and more awkward stories. It’s a sequel that doesn’t disappoint.

“Sick in the Head” by Judd Apatow

This is the best of both worlds: Judd Apatow and interviews with other comedians you love. It’s basically the definitive textbook of important comedians.

Featured photo courtesy Flickr user inspector_81.

Samantha Ulin

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Friday: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt hasn’t yet given any indication to the ...

There are few players across Florida whose recruitment has been harder to parse than Derick Hunter’s ...

While University of Miami fans are not exactly thrilled about their Hurricanes going against the Wis ...

There was a time John Dixon looked like he would have his choice of just about any college he wanted ...

Part 2 of a 3-part series Former Marlins president David Samson, now unshackled by any contractual r ...

Following national recognition for its French production of Cinderella, the Frost Opera Theater is d ...

Several UM art students are getting real-world exposure during a highly anticipated – and attended – ...

Over the past several years, more and more students are using UM Libraries as a study place, a meeti ...

A record number of gifts have been collected across UM campuses to benefit children and seniors in t ...

Former Prime Minister of Israel Ehud Barak, who previously served as minister of the interior and mi ...

Following its longest break of the season thus far, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team ...

After a six-day layoff, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team will be back in action Sund ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews announced Friday the signing of two players ...

University of Miami redshirt senior defensive tackle Gerald Willis III was recognized for his outsta ...

The University of Miami's redshirt senior setter Haley Templeton was named to the 2018 AVCA All ...