Football, Sports, UM-FSU

Students eager to see what rivalry game brings

Cartoon by Izia Lindsay

Cartoon by Izia Lindsay

Rain or shine, students at the University of Miami are buzzing about Saturday’s rivalry game against Florida State University. Throughout the week, The Miami Hurricane checked in with students about their thoughts.

How are you feeling going into the big game?

Amanda Fuentes, sophomore: “I’m really pumped because we are ranked higher than FSU. This game is probably the highlight of the season for me. It’s really personal for the fans because many of my friends go to FSU and it’s our time to shine.”

Alex Mennella, sophomore: “I’ve heard stories about how nuts it gets and I’m ready to experience it for myself. I’m most looking forward to the game itself, especially the 4th quarter, because that’s when I expect it to be the most intense.”

Meredith Sloan, junior: “New coach, new year. Things are looking good, this is our chance. If anything, [our ranking] enhances the rivalry because we have fallen behind in the last few matchups, so this makes us more excited as a school and it looks better for the U.”

Erika Orstad, sophomore: “With our new coaching staff, it’s exciting to see a new beginning. I’m really hoping that this game will be a turnaround for Miami.”

Parth Desai, sophomore: “First thing that comes to mind is definitely Chief Osceola coming out and throwing that spear down, and Sebastian the Ibis picking it up and breaking it in half. It’s just two really passionate fan bases. I expect Miami’s defense to take a little bit of a hit this game, but I expect a W in a close game by a field goal or a touchdown. It’s gonna go down to the end because regardless of ranking, Florida State-Miami is always a close game.”

Isaiah Kim-Martinez can be reached on Twitter at @isaiah5740.

Isaiah Kim-Martinez

Isaiah Kim-Martinez can be reached on Twitter at @isaiah_km.

Friday was strange for Gino DiMare. It wasn’t because his whole family went out to the mound at Alex ...

One thing was obvious to Wayne Younger the first time he got his hands on Ladarius Tennison: The ath ...

Though it’s early, UM already has assembled an outstanding nine-member 2020 recruiting class, a grou ...

Three days before they open their season against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights, the Miami Hurricanes h ...

The first half of Wednesday night’s game was as lousy as the weather outside the Watsco Center, as t ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The University of Miami baseball team opened the Gino DiMare era with a record-setting victory over ...

The Canes open the 75th season in program history and first under the direction of head coach Gino D ...

Game time is 6 p.m. in Chestnut Hill, Mass. ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team will play its second top-five foe in a span of three g ...

The University of Miami golf team heads to the Big Easy to open competition Sunday at the 2019 Allst ...