Blogs, WCGSports

WCGSports: Time to praise Kaepernick and move on

I’ve seen the news on the continuation of police brutality primarily toward African American males throughout 2016. I truly want to commend San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick for the stance that he has taken during the national anthem before each football game.

At first, I did not quite get the significance of it, but it was clear from the start. People are putting their hands up and are still getting killed. That’s not the country that we should be living in, period. He is kneeling in prayer for the lives lost during this terrible time. How long he will do it is a good question.

The attention started at a home preseason game in August when Kaepernick sat during the national anthem.

“I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color,” Kaepernick said. “To me, this is bigger than football and it would be selfish on my part to look the other way. There are bodies in the street and people getting paid leave and getting away with murder.” (NFL.com)

Now, the media has taken Kaepernick’s actions way out of proportion by posting about every athlete who does something different during the national anthem, whether it be kneeling, raising a fist or locking arms. It is time to leave Kaepernick and the others alone, as President Barack Obama previously stated that Kaepernick is “exercising his constitutional right.”

Keep doing what you are doing, Kaepernick.

Wyatt Geller

A University of Miami College of Engineering researcher is trying to perfect a technique of using lu ...

Through an internship with M. Shanken Communications, rising senior Teddy Willson has contributed to ...

University of Miami alumna Vanessa Garcia recounts her personal journey writing for the highly accla ...

University of Miami religious studies professor Catherine Newell weighs in on some of the big questi ...

NASA wants to return humans to the moon by 2024. A University of Miami engineering graduate is part ...

Two Miami Hurricanes were among those players selected to the preseason watch list for the 25th annu ...

ESPN Events announced Thursday afternoon the bracket for the 2019 Charleston Classic, set to take pl ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday its 2018-19 academic honor roll and 177 University o ...

The ACC Network is set to launch August 22. If your television provider hasn't yet decided to c ...

Claudia De Antonio, Renate Grimstad and Kristyna Frydlova were each selected as WGCA All-American Sc ...