Election 2016, News

National Voter Registration Day spikes campus participation

Senior and Get Out the Vote President Monica Bustinza helps junior Chelsea Chico and freshman Linda Shahin fill out forms during Get Out The Vote’s registration drive Tuesday in the Breezeway. Nick Gangemi // Contributing Photographer

Senior and Get Out the Vote President Mónica Bustinza helps junior Chelsea Chico and freshman Linda Shahin fill out forms during Get Out The Vote’s registration drive Tuesday in the Breezeway. Nick Gangemi // Contributing Photographer

University of Miami’s chapter of Get Out The Vote (GOTV) registered 103 people to vote on Tuesday at their event for National Voter Registration Day, co-hosted by Hurricane Productions, UM College Republicans and Young and College Democrats. This was a hike in registration from their average of seven to 20 students a day.

National Voter Registration Day spreads awareness of where Americans can get registered and happens every year on the fourth Tuesday of September. The day was created by a resolution of the National Association for Secretaries of State.

GOTV has registered more than 1,000 voters since it was revived by its President, Mónica Bustinza, in August 2015. Bustinza said they are now aiming to register 1,500 students before Oct. 11, the final day to register to vote in Florida.

Nidhi Patel, a junior majoring in neuroscience, registered on Tuesday and said that her decision was boosted due to the motivation of the campus community.

“I think the best part about voter registration this year is that it is so student-driven on campus,” Patel said. “Seeing students so excited and so willing to help their peers get registered really motivates you to get out and vote.”

The student organization sets up tables in the Breezeway from noon to 2 p.m. every Monday, Wednesday and Friday.

Isabella Cueto

Isabella Cueto can be reached via email at editor@themiamihurricane.com and through Twitter at @isabellacueto

Caribbean experts assessed the coronavirus’s impact on the region in a webinar on Nov. 19 hosted by the University of Miami Institute for Advanced Study of the Americas. ...

A project on race, housing, and displacement in Miami connects past patterns of discrimination to modern disparities. ...

United Black Students and the Black Student Athlete Alliance, in partnership with the University of Miami administration, mobilize to honor the lives lost due to police brutality. ...

As students and faculty and staff members prepare to wrap up the Fall 2020 semester, here’s a look at the availability of facilities and services during the break. ...

The University of Miami president called for increased cooperation, new powers for the World Health Organization, and transparency incentives as critical to manage and mitigate future health outbreaks. ...