Election 2016, News

National Voter Registration Day spikes campus participation

Senior and Get Out the Vote President Monica Bustinza helps junior Chelsea Chico and freshman Linda Shahin fill out forms during Get Out The Vote’s registration drive Tuesday in the Breezeway. Nick Gangemi // Contributing Photographer

Senior and Get Out the Vote President Mónica Bustinza helps junior Chelsea Chico and freshman Linda Shahin fill out forms during Get Out The Vote’s registration drive Tuesday in the Breezeway. Nick Gangemi // Contributing Photographer

University of Miami’s chapter of Get Out The Vote (GOTV) registered 103 people to vote on Tuesday at their event for National Voter Registration Day, co-hosted by Hurricane Productions, UM College Republicans and Young and College Democrats. This was a hike in registration from their average of seven to 20 students a day.

National Voter Registration Day spreads awareness of where Americans can get registered and happens every year on the fourth Tuesday of September. The day was created by a resolution of the National Association for Secretaries of State.

GOTV has registered more than 1,000 voters since it was revived by its President, Mónica Bustinza, in August 2015. Bustinza said they are now aiming to register 1,500 students before Oct. 11, the final day to register to vote in Florida.

Nidhi Patel, a junior majoring in neuroscience, registered on Tuesday and said that her decision was boosted due to the motivation of the campus community.

“I think the best part about voter registration this year is that it is so student-driven on campus,” Patel said. “Seeing students so excited and so willing to help their peers get registered really motivates you to get out and vote.”

The student organization sets up tables in the Breezeway from noon to 2 p.m. every Monday, Wednesday and Friday.

Isabella Cueto

Isabella Cueto can be reached via email at editor@themiamihurricane.com and through Twitter at @isabellacueto

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ Hurricanes fans aren’t the only ones exasperated by t ...

If Saturday wasn’t a turning point for N’Kosi Perry, it was maybe the start of one — at least this i ...

The question for Manny Diaz was simple, and the defensive coordinator’s answer was simple, too — sor ...

The University of Miami’s popular turnover chain was spotlighted in a promotional video for February ...

The evidence was glaring. On Monday night, Miami true freshman running back Lorenzo Lingard posted o ...

New student organization’s mission is a movement to return to the ‘roots’ of natural hair. ...

A University of Miami professor discusses the dynamics of this trend. ...

A mobile museum coming to UM this week will showcase relics of the African-American experience. ...

Get set for a whirlwind of information on critical issues facing the planet and how to tell those st ...

Professors and staff from UM are offering students an in-class introduction to gardening and food pr ...

The Canes have two games left in the 2018 regular season and they have one goal in mind: finish the ...

2018 NCAA Tournament programs match up at 7 p.m. at Watsco Center. ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team will host No. 19 Marquette in a top-25 matchup Thursda ...

Director of Track and Field/Cross Country Amy Deem announced the University of Miami's 2019 tra ...

The Miami women's basketball team moved up one spot to No. 24 nationally in this week's As ...