Election 2016, News

National Voter Registration Day spikes campus participation

Senior and Get Out the Vote President Monica Bustinza helps junior Chelsea Chico and freshman Linda Shahin fill out forms during Get Out The Vote’s registration drive Tuesday in the Breezeway. Nick Gangemi // Contributing Photographer

Senior and Get Out the Vote President Mónica Bustinza helps junior Chelsea Chico and freshman Linda Shahin fill out forms during Get Out The Vote’s registration drive Tuesday in the Breezeway. Nick Gangemi // Contributing Photographer

University of Miami’s chapter of Get Out The Vote (GOTV) registered 103 people to vote on Tuesday at their event for National Voter Registration Day, co-hosted by Hurricane Productions, UM College Republicans and Young and College Democrats. This was a hike in registration from their average of seven to 20 students a day.

National Voter Registration Day spreads awareness of where Americans can get registered and happens every year on the fourth Tuesday of September. The day was created by a resolution of the National Association for Secretaries of State.

GOTV has registered more than 1,000 voters since it was revived by its President, Mónica Bustinza, in August 2015. Bustinza said they are now aiming to register 1,500 students before Oct. 11, the final day to register to vote in Florida.

Nidhi Patel, a junior majoring in neuroscience, registered on Tuesday and said that her decision was boosted due to the motivation of the campus community.

“I think the best part about voter registration this year is that it is so student-driven on campus,” Patel said. “Seeing students so excited and so willing to help their peers get registered really motivates you to get out and vote.”

The student organization sets up tables in the Breezeway from noon to 2 p.m. every Monday, Wednesday and Friday.

Isabella Cueto

Isabella Cueto can be reached via email at editor@themiamihurricane.com and through Twitter at @isabellacueto

Before Daniel Carter decided to sign with the Pittsburgh Panthers out of St. Thomas Aquinas, the fou ...

Lots of nuggets on new UM quarterback Tate Martell, the fallout and Jarren Williams’ reaction: ▪ Whe ...

Katie Meier is a legend at Duke. Her photo hangs in the concourse at Cameron Indoor Arena. She was t ...

New University of Miami head coach Manny Diaz was asked on the radio the morning after he was hired, ...

Jalen Hurts is off the market — and he’s not making his way to South Florida. The former Alabama Cri ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

Gisela Vega, the former associate director of LGBTQA Initiatives at Florida International University ...

With new “personas” allowing for a more personalized mobile experience, the redesigned University of ...

Teams of scholars will use U-LINK grants to examine ways to reduce opportunity gaps and biases in mu ...

Miami released its 2019 football schedule highlighted by a season-opening matchup against Florida in ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Thursday that ESPN reporter and UM alumna Allison Williams w ...

University of Miami head women's volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara announced Monda ...

After a weekend bye, the Miami women's basketball team resumes action Thursday evening at 7 p.m ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Monday that it will host its fifth annual Celebration of Wom ...