Opinion, Satire

Fraternity celebrates diversity: ‘We have white guys from all over the country’

The University of Miami is well known for being one of the most diverse private research universities in the United States. Its unique geographic location acts as a gateway to the southern hemisphere, attracting a variety of latino students. UM officially has a demographic breakdown of 49 percent white, 27 percent Hispanic or Latino, 8 percent black, 12 percent Asian or Pacific Islander and 3 percent multiracial, according to the Office of Undergraduate Admission. Nowhere is this vast diversity represented better than in the university’s Greek system.

Delta Psi Beta, the second largest fraternity on campus, is celebrating its annual Diversity Week starting on Oct. 1. In anticipation of the event, The Miami Hurricane sat down with Delta Psi Beta Vice President Josh Stephens to discuss Diversity Week.

TMH: How diverse is Delta Psi Beta, and how do you believe it has impacted the fraternity experience as a whole?

S: Delta Psi Beta is massively diverse, and we’re very proud of it. We truly uphold the University of Miami tradition of cultural inclusion, as our brothers come from all walks of life. We have white guys from Virginia all the way to California. In fact, out of our 87 brothers, only 60 are white males from the Northeast. Twenty-six are white males from the west coast.

I believe having a wide range of perspectives really teaches us how to be accepting of others and how to see the important things that are happening in this country. For example, why does everything have to be about race for some people? Race and racism has never once been an issue brought up within Delta Psi Beta. Our minds are open to all of the shades of white in our house.

TMH: How and why did Diversity Week begin?

S: Diversity Week began in the fall of 2013, after the Black Lives Matter movement began. Being such a diverse group of gentlemen, we know that every life matters equally. To show this we developed Diversity Week, a week where we pair up with a sorority that embodies our same wide range of WASPs to celebrate how all of our lives matter just as much as those protesters’ lives.

TMH: What other events do you have planned to celebrate and respect the range of cultures we have on this campus and in this country?

S: Delta Psi Beta Cinco de Drinko is always great. Tequila and sombreros es muy bueno, por favor!

Conner Barrett is a sophomore majoring in political science.

Conner Barrett

Fredrick Eaford was quick to make it clear the Miami Hurricanes were his dream team to commit to. Af ...

Linebacker might be the most important position for the Miami Hurricanes to recruit in the Class of ...

Issiah Walker Jr. won’t be at Paradise Camp on Saturday. Instead of attending the Miami Hurricanes’ ...

June is a huge recruiting month for the Miami Hurricanes. It concludes with Paradise Camp on June 22 ...

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Evo Morales, first elected president of Bolivia in 2005, and could win an unprecedented fourth term ...

The University of Miami Black Alumni Society is hosting a number of Juneteenth events around the cou ...

The University of Miami Rosenstiel School’s Rescue a Reef program teams up with the NFL and others t ...

The Frost Chopin Festival and Academy at the University of Miami provides unparalleled experiences f ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

The Miami women's basketball team will face Indiana at the Watsco Center in the 2019 Big Ten/AC ...

The University of Miami volleyball program is set to host the Hurricane Invitational and nine ACC ho ...

Games will be contested July 3-14 in Naples, Italy. ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...