Athletics, Baseball, Basketball, Football, Sports, Tennis, Volleyball

Miami plans to welcome 9 members to Sports Hall of Fame

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame has announced its class of 2017 inductees.

Former UM football players James Jackson, Jeremy Shockey and Darryl Williams will all be admitted. Baseball’s Ryan Braun and Dan Davies, and basketball’s Steve Edwards are in as well. Former tennis player Audra Cohen, current women’s basketball head coach Katie Meier and volleyball’s Valeria Tipiana will be inducted to round out the list. Tipiana will be the first volleyball player ever admitted.

The class will be introduced at halftime when Hurricanes football takes on North Carolina at home on Saturday, Oct. 15 as part of the “Hall of Fame Game” ceremonies.

The nine members will be honored in the 49th annual UMSHoF induction banquet in April of 2017. For more information, contact the UMSHoF at 305-284-2775.

Feature image courtesy HurricaneSports.com

Isaiah Kim-Martinez

Isaiah Kim-Martinez can be reached on Twitter at @isaiah_km.

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ Hurricanes fans aren’t the only ones exasperated by t ...

If Saturday wasn’t a turning point for N’Kosi Perry, it was maybe the start of one — at least this i ...

The question for Manny Diaz was simple, and the defensive coordinator’s answer was simple, too — sor ...

The University of Miami’s popular turnover chain was spotlighted in a promotional video for February ...

The evidence was glaring. On Monday night, Miami true freshman running back Lorenzo Lingard posted o ...

New student organization’s mission is a movement to return to the ‘roots’ of natural hair. ...

A University of Miami professor discusses the dynamics of this trend. ...

A mobile museum coming to UM this week will showcase relics of the African-American experience. ...

Get set for a whirlwind of information on critical issues facing the planet and how to tell those st ...

Professors and staff from UM are offering students an in-class introduction to gardening and food pr ...

The Canes have two games left in the 2018 regular season and they have one goal in mind: finish the ...

2018 NCAA Tournament programs match up at 7 p.m. at Watsco Center. ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team will host No. 19 Marquette in a top-25 matchup Thursda ...

Director of Track and Field/Cross Country Amy Deem announced the University of Miami's 2019 tra ...

The Miami women's basketball team moved up one spot to No. 24 nationally in this week's As ...