Athletics, Baseball, Basketball, Football, Sports, Tennis, Volleyball

Miami plans to welcome 9 members to Sports Hall of Fame

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame has announced its class of 2017 inductees.

Former UM football players James Jackson, Jeremy Shockey and Darryl Williams will all be admitted. Baseball’s Ryan Braun and Dan Davies, and basketball’s Steve Edwards are in as well. Former tennis player Audra Cohen, current women’s basketball head coach Katie Meier and volleyball’s Valeria Tipiana will be inducted to round out the list. Tipiana will be the first volleyball player ever admitted.

The class will be introduced at halftime when Hurricanes football takes on North Carolina at home on Saturday, Oct. 15 as part of the “Hall of Fame Game” ceremonies.

The nine members will be honored in the 49th annual UMSHoF induction banquet in April of 2017. For more information, contact the UMSHoF at 305-284-2775.

Feature image courtesy HurricaneSports.com

Isaiah Kim-Martinez

Isaiah Kim-Martinez can be reached on Twitter at @isaiah_km.

Immunologist Natasa Strbo and her team have put aside their work on HIV, malaria, and Zika to develo

Xavier Cortada leads the Miami Corona Project, an art program presented as part of the University of

Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals policy recipients, or Dreamers, with college degrees have con

Consumers who support a company’s decision to rebrand, such as to remove racial stereotypes, might s

A University of Miami team awaits FDA approval to mass-produce nasopharyngeal swabs used in coronavi