Athletics, Football, Sports

Miami athletics unveils plans for new football practice facility

Miami athletics continued its unveiling of new items Friday afternoon by announcing its plans for a new indoor practice facility for the football team. The announcement took place at the Fontainebleau in Miami Beach.

President Julio Frenk, Head Coach Mark Richt and quarterback Brad Kaaya were among those in attendance. The lead donors of the project are billionaire real estate developer Jeffrey Soffer and his family. According to Forbes, Soffer has a majority ownership in the Fontainebleau. He and his sister, Jackie, own Turnberry Associates, a leader in real estate development and property management.

The Soffer family will donate $14 million toward the project. Earlier this year, Mark Richt and his wife, Katharyn, pledged to donate $1 million toward the facility. Of the $34 million needed for construction, donors have pledged $24 million so far.

Carol Soffer, Jeffrey’s mother and longtime Canes supporter, will have her name on the new practice facility.

“The football indoor practice facility will bring a new dimension to the University,” Soffer told Hurricane Sports. “It will have a lasting impact on student-athletes now and in the future.”

The new facility will be built to cover the south side of the Greentree Practice Fields. The team will be able to practice, rain or shine, and no longer worry about lightning delays. The facility will be 81,000 square feet and have two practice fields, a strength and conditioning center, office space for all football coaches, position meeting rooms, a video center, a recruiting suite and more. It will connect to the Hecht Athletic Center and the Schwartz Center for Athletic Excellence.

Construction will start once the $34 million quota is reached. To find out more about the facility or to donate, visit HurricanesFootballFacility.com.

Chloe Harrison

UM was very fortunate that junior linebackers Shaquille Quarterman, Mike Pinckney and Zach McCloud a ...

Hard Rock Stadium will be filled with Miami fans — and probably only Miami fans — when the two colle ...

They made school history on Sunday with a nationally-televised road upset of No. 2 Louisville, and o ...

Mark Walton, the former University of Miami star football player and current Cincinnati Bengal, was ...

Don Chaney Jr. says his recruitment is over and the way he talks about the Miami Hurricanes, it’s ea ...

Researcher Rebecca Bulotsky Shearer is leading a study aimed at increasing the number of kids who ar ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team stormed back from a 14-point deficit to pick up the bi ...

Hours after garnering espnW National Player of the Week distinction, Emese Hof of the Miami women ...

For the second straight Monday, a member of the Miami women's basketball team has earned a nati ...

Brian Van Belle struck out five over six shutout innings to help the Canes sweep Rutgers on opening ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami golf team moved up two spots on Monday's leaderboard at t ...