Athletics, Football, Sports

Miami athletics unveils plans for new football practice facility

Miami athletics continued its unveiling of new items Friday afternoon by announcing its plans for a new indoor practice facility for the football team. The announcement took place at the Fontainebleau in Miami Beach.

President Julio Frenk, Head Coach Mark Richt and quarterback Brad Kaaya were among those in attendance. The lead donors of the project are billionaire real estate developer Jeffrey Soffer and his family. According to Forbes, Soffer has a majority ownership in the Fontainebleau. He and his sister, Jackie, own Turnberry Associates, a leader in real estate development and property management.

The Soffer family will donate $14 million toward the project. Earlier this year, Mark Richt and his wife, Katharyn, pledged to donate $1 million toward the facility. Of the $34 million needed for construction, donors have pledged $24 million so far.

Carol Soffer, Jeffrey’s mother and longtime Canes supporter, will have her name on the new practice facility.

“The football indoor practice facility will bring a new dimension to the University,” Soffer told Hurricane Sports. “It will have a lasting impact on student-athletes now and in the future.”

The new facility will be built to cover the south side of the Greentree Practice Fields. The team will be able to practice, rain or shine, and no longer worry about lightning delays. The facility will be 81,000 square feet and have two practice fields, a strength and conditioning center, office space for all football coaches, position meeting rooms, a video center, a recruiting suite and more. It will connect to the Hecht Athletic Center and the Schwartz Center for Athletic Excellence.

Construction will start once the $34 million quota is reached. To find out more about the facility or to donate, visit HurricanesFootballFacility.com.

Chloe Harrison

The Miami Hurricanes had to adjust their offense at halftime Saturday to pull out a road win against ...

Photo Gallery: UM v. Virginia Tech | Saturday, November 17, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

The Miami Hurricanes found new life Saturday — despite so much seemingly going wrong. Big plays on o ...

At least in terms of their bowl situation, the Miami Hurricanes can take a deep, collective breath. ...

Thoughts, notes, reaction and postscripts after UM’s 38-14 win on Saturday at Virginia Tech, making ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team dropped a 75-52 decision Sunday at Iowa State in the P ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team forced No. 10 Pitt to five sets in a thrilling match on Seni ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...