Cross Country/Track and Field, Sports

Cross-country teams bring momentum to North Carolina

The Miami Hurricanes men’s and women’s cross-country teams are preparing to compete for the second time this season at Appalachian State University in Boone, North Carolina, in the Mountain to Sea Duals meet. The competition will take place Friday, Sept. 16.

The Canes performed well in their season opener at the FAU Invitational in Boca Raton, where the team started its third season in a row, but look to improve in this week’s meet.

Three was a magic number for the Miami women’s team. Redshirt junior Gabrielle Hesslau won the women’s 5K for the third straight year with a time of 18:35.3. The team finished third overall in the competition with 53 points.

Hesslau is coming off a successful track and field season this past spring. She set a new indoor track school record in the women’s 5000-meter at the ACC Indoor Championships. During the outdoor track season, she ran the fifth fastest time in the women’s 5000-meter in school history at the Florida Relays. Hesslau also had a stellar campaign last cross-country season as a top finisher for the Canes in the ACC Cross Country Championships and the NCAA South Regional Meet.

The invitational served as the debut for freshman Molly Rickles, who finished No. 32 in the women’s 5K competition with a time of 23:07.6. While competing for Briarcliff High School, she placed third in the women’s 3000-meter run in the Section 1 League 2D, 1C, 3A Championship this year.

For the men, Miami finished second in team competition. Junior Sean Grossman led the way in the men’s 5K, clocking in second individually with a time of 15:37.9. Senior Jon Keller also made the top five with a 15:45.3 run.

Grossman improved upon last year’s sixth-place finish in the FAU Invitational. He is looking to make the ACC Cross Country Championships again and best his performance in last year’s NCAA South Regional.

Chloe Harrison

Before Daniel Carter decided to sign with the Pittsburgh Panthers out of St. Thomas Aquinas, the fou ...

Lots of nuggets on new UM quarterback Tate Martell, the fallout and Jarren Williams’ reaction: ▪ Whe ...

Katie Meier is a legend at Duke. Her photo hangs in the concourse at Cameron Indoor Arena. She was t ...

New University of Miami head coach Manny Diaz was asked on the radio the morning after he was hired, ...

Jalen Hurts is off the market — and he’s not making his way to South Florida. The former Alabama Cri ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

Gisela Vega, the former associate director of LGBTQA Initiatives at Florida International University ...

With new “personas” allowing for a more personalized mobile experience, the redesigned University of ...

Teams of scholars will use U-LINK grants to examine ways to reduce opportunity gaps and biases in mu ...

Miami released its 2019 football schedule highlighted by a season-opening matchup against Florida in ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Thursday that ESPN reporter and UM alumna Allison Williams w ...

University of Miami head women's volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara announced Monda ...

After a weekend bye, the Miami women's basketball team resumes action Thursday evening at 7 p.m ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Monday that it will host its fifth annual Celebration of Wom ...