Basketball, Sports

Miami basketball’s top recruit Dewan Huell arrested

Hurricanes freshman power forward Dewan Huell was arrested for battery charges on Tuesday.

“I am aware of the reported incident involving Dewan Huell last night, and we are gathering information,” University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James said in a statement released by the school. “I have very high expectations for all of our student athletes, as I know Coach Larrañaga does for his team, and any misconduct will be addressed.”

According to a police report obtained by Andy Slater of WINZ, Huell attacked another man whom he found with his ex-girlfriend in her dorm on the FIU campus. The incident left the other man with scrapes on his neck and torso.

The 6-foot-11 Huell, who was Miami basketball’s top recruit and rated No. 21 overall by ESPN, is expected to contribute in a big way for the Hurricanes this upcoming season. He averaged 19.2 points and 9.1 rebounds as a senior at Miami Norland High School where he led his team to three state championships and was a McDonald’s All-American last season.

Head Coach Jim Larrañaga and Huell are scheduled to meet to discuss the incident as Canes fans await more news regarding the situation.

Josh White

June is a huge recruiting month for the Miami Hurricanes. It concludes with Paradise Camp on June 22 ...

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

George Stewart had a big problem, and little time to solve it. It was Week 6 of the 2018 season, and ...

One of the interesting subplots of this Hurricanes season will be watching the evolution of a bunch ...

The Frost Chopin Festival and Academy at the University of Miami provides unparalleled experiences f ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami Libraries offer readers multiple ways to access the books, which are popular ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Martin Grosell weighs in on how marine life in the Gulf could be affect ...

The University of Miami volleyball program is set to host the Hurricane Invitational and nine ACC ho ...

Games will be contested July 3-14 in Naples, Italy. ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...