Basketball, Sports

Miami basketball’s top recruit Dewan Huell arrested

Hurricanes freshman power forward Dewan Huell was arrested for battery charges on Tuesday.

“I am aware of the reported incident involving Dewan Huell last night, and we are gathering information,” University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James said in a statement released by the school. “I have very high expectations for all of our student athletes, as I know Coach Larrañaga does for his team, and any misconduct will be addressed.”

According to a police report obtained by Andy Slater of WINZ, Huell attacked another man whom he found with his ex-girlfriend in her dorm on the FIU campus. The incident left the other man with scrapes on his neck and torso.

The 6-foot-11 Huell, who was Miami basketball’s top recruit and rated No. 21 overall by ESPN, is expected to contribute in a big way for the Hurricanes this upcoming season. He averaged 19.2 points and 9.1 rebounds as a senior at Miami Norland High School where he led his team to three state championships and was a McDonald’s All-American last season.

Head Coach Jim Larrañaga and Huell are scheduled to meet to discuss the incident as Canes fans await more news regarding the situation.

Josh White

The losses keep coming for Miami Hurricanes football and Mark Richt. And this feels like the biggest ...

The University of Miami is on the verge of losing the architect of one of the nation’s best defenses ...

The postseason acknowledgments continue to roll in for Gerald Willis. The Miami Hurricanes defensive ...

It is recruiting season in college football, and the Miami Hurricanes have one particular commitment ...

The early signing period is right around the corner and the Miami Hurricanes have plenty of work to ...

UM public relations students unveiled their plans to reposition March for Our Lives to attract colle ...

The answer to that question may impact what happens to the European Union. ...

Most UM Debate Team members devote 10 to 15 hours of preparation for each tournament. ...

National Geographic connects with the University of Miami to empower the next generation of storytel ...

Following national recognition for its French production of Cinderella, the Frost Opera Theater is d ...

The Miami women's basketball team ascended one position in each of the major national polls thi ...

Gerald Willis III added to his postseason awards list, picking up second-team All-America honors fro ...

Following its longest break of the season thus far, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews announced Friday the signing of two players ...

After a six-day layoff, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team will be back in action Sund ...