Basketball, Sports

Miami basketball’s top recruit Dewan Huell arrested

Hurricanes freshman power forward Dewan Huell was arrested for battery charges on Tuesday.

“I am aware of the reported incident involving Dewan Huell last night, and we are gathering information,” University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James said in a statement released by the school. “I have very high expectations for all of our student athletes, as I know Coach Larrañaga does for his team, and any misconduct will be addressed.”

According to a police report obtained by Andy Slater of WINZ, Huell attacked another man whom he found with his ex-girlfriend in her dorm on the FIU campus. The incident left the other man with scrapes on his neck and torso.

The 6-foot-11 Huell, who was Miami basketball’s top recruit and rated No. 21 overall by ESPN, is expected to contribute in a big way for the Hurricanes this upcoming season. He averaged 19.2 points and 9.1 rebounds as a senior at Miami Norland High School where he led his team to three state championships and was a McDonald’s All-American last season.

Head Coach Jim Larrañaga and Huell are scheduled to meet to discuss the incident as Canes fans await more news regarding the situation.

Josh White

Pro Football Focus unveiled where Power 5 programs rank in tackles for a loss or no gain against the ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

Braylen Ingraham’s final college visit before decision day took him just about as far from home as p ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

On a historic afternoon for redshirt senior goalkeeper Phallon Tullis-Joyce, the University of Miami ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team kept its Sunday win streak alive by defeating Georgia Tech, 3-1 ...

The Miami women's tennis team wrapped up competition Sunday at the ITA Southeast Regional Champ ...

On the first day of Main Draw action at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Presented by Oracle ...

The Miami women's tennis team turned in a strong showing Saturday at the ITA Southeast Regional ...