Soccer, Sports

Women’s soccer team held scoreless, falls to FIU

The Miami Hurricanes soccer team wrapped up non-conference play Sunday afternoon, falling to Florida International University 1-0.

“I’m really disappointed today in our performance,” Head Coach Mary Frances-Monroe said after the game. “I felt like we were the better team and they just got a lucky break from us making a mistake and we have to move past that as we move into conference play. Our games aren’t going to be easy as we move forward and we really just have to have the mentality to win.”

FIU (1-5-1) jumped out to an early lead in the 5th minute when midfielder Alyssa Robinson stole an errant pass, directed back to Canes’ redshirt sophomore goalkeeper Phallon Tullis-Joyce, and finished in the top right corner for a goal.

“Ninety-nine and a half times out of 100 that doesn’t happen,” redshirt senior captain Shannon McCarthy said. “Sometimes you’re thrown trials and sometimes you need to be humbled. Stuff like that happens on every single level and it’s unfortunate that it happened today, but we have to keep moving forward.”

The Hurricanes (5-3) totaled eight shots throughout the half, but failed to get one past Panther goalkeeper Sophia Trujillo, who made four saves on the day including a spectacular kick to stop Miami junior forward Ronnie Johnson in the 24th minute.

The Canes came out with a vengeance and turned up the pressure against the Panthers in the second half. Although Miami was able to collect 12 more shots in the second half, for a total of 20 on the game, the FIU defense was up to the task and blocked 10 shots throughout the 90-minute contest preserving a clean sheet.

Miami, who are currently on a two-game skid, will visit their archrival No. 1 Florida State Seminoles on Sunday as they open up conference play.

“We have enough chemistry on this team and enough trust on this team,” McCarthy said. “It’s going to be hard, but I think we’re ready. It’s going to be exciting to go out and give it everything we have.”

The match will start at 1 p.m. at Seminole Soccer Complex.

Josh White

University of Miami students share their thoughts and impressions as President Joe Biden and Vice President Kamala Harris take the helm. ...

Following Wednesday’s historic event, University of Miami experts in various fields provide their insight on the biggest challenges facing the new administration. ...

As part of the “Roadmap to Our New Century” initiative, the University of Miami advances the art of teaching and the science of learning by partnering with students, alumni, and others to offer options throughout the entire adult learning life cycle. ...

University of Miami experts weigh the merit and consequences of amending or repealing the communications law that provides a legal shield for service providers from the words, images, and videos posted by their users. ...

The United States Postal Service features Emilio Sanchez, the first Cuban American visual artist to be recognized in a new series of Forever stamps. ...