Soccer, Sports

Hurricanes women’s soccer team falls to FGCU

The Hurricanes dropped their second game of the season Thursday night in a 1-0 loss to the Florida Gulf Coast University Eagles at Cobb Stadium.

“We need to do a better job playing together,” Head Coach Mary Frances-Monroe said after the game.

In a fairly uneventful first half, the Hurricanes were unable to record a shot until the 27th minute. The only real chance for goal came when freshman forward Bayleigh Chaviers narrowly missed, making contact on a header off a cross from the corner.

Both teams went into the locker room in a scoreless tie.

Florida Gulf Coast struck first in the 54th minute off a crossing feed that Eagle forward Tabby Tindell buried past Miami redshirt sophomore keeper Phallon Tullis-Joyce. The goal was her first allowed in three games.

Tullis-Joyce kept the Canes in the game with two key saves in the 63rd minute. Miami managed a steady offense in the final 15 minutes of the match, but the effort fell short. One final attempt by freshman forward Kristina Fisher was the closest Miami came to scoring. With two minutes left in the contest, she drove a shot that ricocheted off the crossbar and bounced just over where senior forward Gracie Lachowecki stood in the Gulf Coast box.

The Eagles shut down the Canes offense in the final seconds to take the win.

“You can’t win ‘em all,” Redshirt senior captain Shannon McCarthy said after the loss. “We’ll have to take a look in the mirror and look to control what we can control.”

The Hurricanes are back in action against FIU on Sunday at 1 p.m. at Cobb Stadium.

Danny LaRose

By showing how the controversial crime-fighting strategy is unevenly employed in marginalized neighb ...

Hosmay Lopez, of the NOAA Cooperative Institute for Marine and Atmospheric Studies at the University ...

UM alumna Shirley Hoffman Kilkelly was one of the few women engineers who worked on the Apollo 11 mo ...

College of Engineering alumnus Frank DeMattia was just 21 years old when he went to work at NASA on ...

Registered dietitian Stephanie Sanchez shares realistic, healthy ways to get you on track and headed ...

Sophomore tight end Brevin Jordan was among the 60 players named to the 2019 John Mackey Award Prese ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team added yet another elite accolade to her ...

Redshirt senior wide receiver K.J. Osborn was among six ACC players named to The Biletnikoff Award W ...

The National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) has awarded the University of Miami a 2019 NCAA ...

Dane Dunlap, William Grattan-Smith and Franco Aubone were each selected as All-Academic Scholar Athl ...