Campus Life, News

9/11 Memorial Day service remembers lost lives

Veterans of the United States Armed Forces, Coral Gables Fire Department and students gathered at the Rock to pay their respects in a 9/11 Memorial Day service.

Patricia Whitely, vice president of student affairs, ensured that the university would always hold a memorial service to remember the lives lost during Sep. 11, regardless the of how many years have passed.

“Fifteen years ago this Sunday, numerous students, staff and faculty came together to remember the fallen,” Whitely said. “We must never forget.”

She told the audience that there were two first-year students during that time who lived in Hecht that lost family members in New York.

“So many stories, so many lives, 3,061 children growing up without parents, completely shattered lives never the same,” Whitely said. “Here in UM, we made a very special effort to embrace and love our fellow students who were very vulnerable.”

On Sep. 11, nearly 3,000 people lost their lives to a series of coordinated terrorist attacks, the deadliest incident in the United States for firefighters and law enforcement where more than 400 were killed when acting as first respondents.

Four airplanes were hijacked by 19 terrorists pledging allegiance to Al-Qaeda and plunged the planes into the North and South tower of the World Trade Center, the Pentagon in Washington D.C. and a field in Stonycreek Township near Shanksville, Pennsylvania after its passengers fought back against the hijackers.

This led to the U.S. declaring war on terror, culminating with the death of the mastermind, Osama bin Laden, a decade later by U.S. Navy Seals.

Vikesh Patel, president of Student Government, spoke about his memories of 9/11, not understanding what was happening due to his young age.

“I remember being taken out of school early by my family,” Patel said. “We may not have fully understood or grasped the situation at hand but today as adult we can understand the impact it has and continue to have on our country and the world.”

To the Armed Forces and firemen in attendance, Patel thanked them for their service that he said gave the country a chance to thrive.

“Because of you all we are provided many freedoms that make our country so unique,” Patel said.

The Hammond-Butler Inspirational Concert Choir lent their voice to the event, singing the national anthem and “America the Beautiful.”

Retired Master Sergeant Jack Wengrosky, who is now in his third year working at the Frost School of Music, performed the “Taps,” the bugle call played to remember the fallen.

“This is one of the official music that we do in official ceremonies,” Wengrosky said. “This is for the fallen soldiers, it is one of those things that represent that part of the military.”

Wengrosky remembered that he was with his unit, U.S. Army Field Band, in Maryland the day during the attacks.

“I was at my unit in Fort Meade, Maryland and we went under lockdown and about three weeks later I was at the site at New York City performing concerts and public affairs for the people,” Wengrosky said.

Wengrosky said it was a personal honor to asked to perform the “Taps” to honor the sacrifices made for those involved.

“I have performed the ‘Taps’ around 100 times and it is always a great honor,” Wengrosky said. “Unfortunately it is one of those things that you do for soldiers in the past and I am always glad to do that service for the troops and for the American people.”

Feature image courtesy Pixabay user kevinkjr0

Marcus Lim

The Miami Hurricanes found new life Saturday — despite so much seemingly going wrong. Big plays on o ...

At least in terms of their bowl situation, the Miami Hurricanes can take a deep, collective breath. ...

Thoughts, notes, reaction and postscripts after UM’s 38-14 win on Saturday at Virginia Tech, making ...

There wasn’t much energy in the Watsco Center stands on Saturday afternoon as most University of Mia ...

View photos from the Bethune-Cookman wildcats at Miami Hurricanes in a NCAA college basketball game ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

Seniors Kolby Bird and Haley Templeton will play in their final match at the James L. Knight Sports ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...

The Canes hit the road for the final time in the 2018 regular season and it is to a familiar and hos ...