News, Senate Recap, Student Government

Senate Recap: constructive dialogue, Study Abroad options

Senate discusses freedom of expression on campus

During an open forum, Speaker of the Senate Josh Zuchniarz raised the issue of controversial conversations and UM’s policy on sensitive subjects.

The following discussion focused on safe spaces, trigger warnings and proper training for student leaders. Many of the senators’ responses were about mutual respect and focusing on diction when talking about controversial topics. The senators also mentioned that students should be more open to learning about other cultures.

“It’s not necessarily the opinion, but the way it is expressed,” said Sarah Betancourt, commuter senator and head of Academic Affairs.

Ritika Malkani, Arts and Sciences senator, spoke about the need for these discussions on a college campus.

“The whole point of higher education is to dispute controversial topics,” Malkani said.

The conversation eventually led to the possibility of a “Dialog Series,” in which the Senate will tackle social topics at the meetings. They’ve started working with their Personal Relations Committee to spread the word.

Director of Study Abroad visits Senate

Director of Study Abroad Devika Milner spoke to Senate about the various Study Abroad programs available through the University of Miami.

“If you feel like there are obstacles preventing you from studying abroad, I want to make sure you hear about all the opportunities first,” Milner said.

The options include the semester-long “U” Programs, exchange programs and intersession or summer events led by UM faculty. Courses taken abroad do count toward majors, minors, cognates and electives.

For more information, visit miami.edu/studyabroad.

Notes:

• There will be no shuttles to Wynwood this month.
  • The first ‘Cane Talks will take place Sept. 8 at 4 p.m. in the Shalala Student Center Ballroom.

Jorge Chabo

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ UM has only two Rivals.com five-star recruits on the ...

Even five months ago, it would’ve been hard to picture Jaylan Knighton winding up with the Miami Hur ...

UM offensive coordinator Dan Enos on Monday addressed the quarterback situation in this piece, culle ...

University of Florida big man Keith Stone, a 6-8 and 254-pound Deerfield Beach native, is heading cl ...

The Miami Hurricanes are primed to have another nice weekend in the NFL Draft, at least according to ...

At the annual Hug the Lake, sustainability manager Teddy Lhoutellier was honored for improving the e ...

Yvette Soler, B.M. ’96, better known as Tigrilla Gardenia, connects her music engineering background ...

Preservation Week, from April 21 to April 27, is focused on highlighting the importance of learning ...

There are numerous ways to connect with the University of Miami during the two-day tech conference o ...

A symbol of both French heritage and Catholicism, Paris’ 850-year-old gothic cathedral was gutted by ...

The Hurricanes will open an eight-game homestand with a midweek matchup against crosstown FIU on Wed ...

The Canes are ranked for the second consecutive week, cracking the top 25 in two different polls rel ...

Stone played in 85 career games at University of Florida. ...

Come join head coach Manny Diaz and the Miami Hurricanes football program in the brand new Carol Sof ...

The Miami women's tennis team continued its ascent up the national rankings Tuesday, moving up ...