Opinion, Staff Editorial

Focus on positive growth in freshman year

The incoming freshman class of 2020 was selected with a 38-percent acceptance rate, continuing the trend of increasingly selective admission at UM. With a more competitive pool of applicants, one would assume that each year would bring a new batch of students who are a little more mature and levelheaded than previous freshmen.

But selectivity doesn’t always match up with behavior outside the classroom. Each fall, it seems that the wild and questionable freshman stories resurface. Cases of arson, drinking blackouts and hospital visits plague the freshman dorms.

Is UM admitting more daring students, or is deliberate recklessness characteristic of all freshmen classes, still testing the limits of their newfound freedom and alcohol tolerance? Moving to a campus and suddenly meeting hundreds of new peers, leaving the supervision of watchful parents and living in a city where party culture thrives can be an overwhelming combination. If a freshman didn’t already come in with a levelheaded sense of judgment, they probably won’t develop it during their first semester at college.

Maybe we’re being unfairly harsh on the freshmen. Are upperclassmen really any better, or are they just better at keeping their dirty laundry out of sight? After all, most upperclassmen live off campus, free from the supervision of RAs and the restrictions of residential dorm life. But let’s stay optimistic and chalk it up to maturation; in other words, there is hope for the first-years.

Of course, college is a time to have fun and try new experiences. Yet decisions should be made because they really do provide fun, memorable personal experiences, not just for the sake of being crazy or daring. Students should make reasonable judgments about risks and benefits and be confident enough to tell themselves, and others, when they’ve reached their limits. Getting caught up with blindly trying to create a new “college self” prevents real growth.

Many of the relationships that begin during freshman year, both personal and professional, plant the seeds for future opportunities. This sentiment is particularly important for the class of 2020, but it is also key for any student on the way to a post-graduate career. Some new experiences can be distracting and sometimes a bit overwhelming – stay focused and start off on the right foot.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial board.

Editorial Board

One of the reasons Manny Diaz overhauled his recruiting department when he took over as UM’s coach i ...

Connor McLaughlin never gave much thought to the Miami Hurricanes when he was younger. Even though h ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ 2020 recruiting class continues to grow. Three-star Deerfield Beach wide recei ...

Chaminade-Madonna in Hollywood has produced some distinguished alums, including ESPN (and Miami Hera ...

Columbus was a popular destination for coaches throughout the first full week of May this spring. On ...

Academics met at the University of Miami to plan the next phase of a study looking at how journalist ...

Former University of Miami student Elio M. Garcia, Jr. and his wife Linda Antonsson discuss their jo ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are using big data to identify affordable housing opportuniti ...

From office furniture to electronics to kitchen items, the University of Miami sells surplus propert ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are studying zebrafish to understand human genetics and ident ...

Top-seeded Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team secured her spot in the NCAA ...

Six members of the Miami track and field team earned a spot at the 2019 NCAA Outdoor Championships i ...

Former Miami women's basketball standout Emese Hof will begin her overseas professional career ...

It took extra innings, but the Canes dropped their final game of pool play at the 2019 ACC Baseball ...

The Student-Athlete Development department has grown in size and scope and become an integral part o ...