Soccer, Sports

UM women’s soccer defeats FAU, improves to 5-1

Junior forward Ronnie Johnson (4) breaks past two FAU defenders during Sunday’s game at Cobb Stadium. Josh White // Contributing Photographer

The Miami Hurricanes soccer team defeated FAU 1-0 on Sunday afternoon. This victory brings Miami’s all-time record against the Owls to 8-6.

The Canes’ (5-1-0) defense, anchored by redshirt sophomore goalkeeper Phallon Tullis-Joyce, completed its fifth clean sheet of the season and have still only allowed two goals thus far.

“We’ve just bonded as a team,” Tullis-Joyce said in regards to the defensive unit. “It’s really just communication; we can just talk and figure out where players are and get them marked up.”

The defense was able to hold off several FAU (3-3-0) chances at the end of the first half and the two teams went into the break tied at 0-0. Four of five saves made by Tullis-Joyce’s came in the first half, and it was because of this stout defensive effort that Miami was able to break through later.

That breakthrough came in the 55th minute. Freshman forward Kristina Fisher and sophomore midfielder Niccola Venezia worked their way down the right sideline and crossed the ball into the box. Awaiting at close range was senior forward Gracie Lachowecki, who was able to poke the ball into the back of the net after fighting through the FAU defense.

“We had a lot of chances today and we didn’t finish them, but we got one [goal]in the second half and it was all we needed,” Lachowecki said. She finished with three shots on target in 59 minutes of play.

Lachowecki’s goal on Sunday was her fifth of the season, and she is well on her way to eclipsing her 12-goal mark from last year. Fisher’s assist was her fifth of the season as her incredible collegiate career continues. In just six games, she has 17 points, including six goals.

The Hurricanes are home again this week and will face off against FGCU at 7 p.m. Thursday at Cobb Stadium.

Carson Coudriet

University of Miami fans no doubt are loving the Hurricanes’ two newest tight ends. What they’re pro ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Though UM wasn’t called for a single penalty against ...

Two of the best athletes and a freshman quarterback on the No. 21 University of Miami football team ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

The 1983 national champions will be back on campus to celebrate the 35thanniversary of Miami's ...

The University of Miami volleyball program begins ACC play on Friday night against Wake Forest at 7 ...

Head coach Katie Meier announced Wednesday the ninth annual Miami Women's Basketball Fantasy Ca ...

The yearly Miami Fall Invite will take place Friday through Sunday at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center, ...

Through three games, Miami is No. 1 in the country in tackles for loss and the entire Hurricanes def ...