Soccer, Sports

Women’s soccer wins over Miami (OH), 1-0

Freshman forward Kristina Fisher (10) strikes the ball during the Hurricanes' 1-0 win over Miami (OH) Friday night at Cobb Stadium. Joshua White // Contributing Photographer

Freshman forward Kristina Fisher (10) strikes the ball during the Hurricanes’ 1-0 win over Miami (OH) Friday night at Cobb Stadium. Joshua White // Contributing Photographer

In a battle between two Miamis at Cobb Stadium Friday night, the Hurricanes defeated the RedHawks from Ohio, 1-0.

The lone goal was scored in the 16th minute by freshman forward Dejah Cason off a cross from fellow freshman forward Kristina Fisher. Fisher drove the crossing pass from the corner and Cason leapt above her defender to head the ball into the back of the net.

“I can jump really high,” Cason said of her effort, which she confirmed was the coolest goal of her career. “It’s not often you score a goal like that.”

The Canes (4-1-0) took control of play for the final 30 minutes of the first half and headed into the locker room with a 1-0 lead.

The RedHawks (1-3-0) fought back with heavy offensive pressure after the 55th minute, but could not manage a goal against the strong Hurricane defense. Back-and-forth play ensued for the better part of the second half.

With five minutes remaining in the contest, defender Danielle Savage saved the lead, and ultimately the win, when she made a sliding block on an open-net shot from inside the Hurricane box. Both benches erupted in awe at the spectacular feat of athleticism by the redshirt sophomore.

The timely save was instinctive for Savage.

“I knew the team was working hard and I had to get back,” Savage said. “I knew she was going for goal and I had to stop it.”

The Canes held the lead in the final minutes of the match to stave off the tough opponents from Miami (OH) University.

“We’ve had a lot of success early in the season and this was a good test,” Head Coach Mary Frances-Monroe said of her team’s performance. She gave goal-scorer Cason praise as well.

“It was an amazing goal for Dejah,” Frances-Monroe said. “A great first goal as a Hurricane.”

The Hurricanes return to action against FAU on Sunday at 1:00 p.m. at Cobb Stadium.

Danny LaRose

At 7:27 p.m Tuesday, University of Miami football coach Manny Diaz tweeted a GIF of a swirling Hurri ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ As Miami awaits decisions from its potential 2019 qua ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Monday night: ▪ FIU has decided that its Nov. 23 football game agains ...

Dewan Hernandez hit another NCAA roadblock on Monday, but the University of Miami forward will take ...

Jeff Thomas will be joining the Illinois Fighting Illini after all. After a few days of discussion a ...

Grantees aim to eliminate opportunity gaps and biases in different realms and improve brain injury t ...

The film launches the 2019 film series for the UM Libraries Cuban Heritage Collection. ...

Here’s a go-to list of dates you should keep an eye on throughout the semester, along with some tidb ...

For more than 77 years, UM Hillel has provided a vibrant and diverse “home-away-from-home” that is f ...

University of Miami experts weigh in on the largest increase in carbon emissions in eight years. ...

The University of Miami football program has hired Dan Enos as its offensive coordinator and quarter ...

University of Miami head women's volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara announced Monda ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Monday that it will host its fifth annual Celebration of Wom ...

After a weekend bye, the Miami women's basketball team resumes action Thursday evening at 7 p.m ...

Pictures from the No. 17 Miami women's tennis team's season-opening action in the Miami Sp ...