Campus Life, News

“Make Your Move:” Homecoming committee chooses playful, nostalgic theme for 2016 events

The Homecoming Executive Committee announces that this year’s theme will be "Make Your Move" on the Rock Wednesday afternoon. Hunter Crenian // Staff Photographer

The Homecoming Executive Committee announces that this year’s theme will be “Make Your Move” on the Rock Wednesday afternoon. Hunter Crenian // Staff Photographer

The theme for this year’s Homecoming Week, which takes place Oct. 28 through Nov. 5, is “Make Your Move,” a nod to entertainment before modern technology: classic board games. The Homecoming Executive Committee (HEC) revealed the theme this afternoon at the Rock.

HEC came up with the idea for the theme in Spring 2016 in hopes that it would bring a spirit of nostalgia to campus.

Lauren Rodriguez, one of the three HEC vice-chairs, said she loved how the theme could bring students to channel their younger selves during Homecoming events.

“I love the theme. When we were little kids, we all played board games, and I think that everyone will be able to enjoy it,” Rodriguez said. “It is a throwback and I am excited to see what organizations would do with the theme. This will bring out the child in them.”

Leading up to the reveal at around 1:15 p.m., the committee dropped clues for students about the theme.

During the week of events, student organizations compete against each other in spirited events to celebrate the annual return of UM alumni and the continuation of university traditions.

HEC Chair Ashley Pittaluga said the committee is eager to see how student organizations will incorporate the theme, each creating costumes, choreography, songs and decorations based off a classic game that will be assigned to them in the coming weeks. Pittaluga said part of the theme’s strength is that it is broad enough to encompass a range of ideas.

“People were excited about this. It was developed really well and is very versatile,” Pittaluga said.

For more information, visit UM Homecoming’s Facebook page.

Marcus Lim

Lucha Latina celebrates Hispanic Heritage Month by highlighting Central American culture. ...

The Frost School of Music’s Valerie Coleman, who heads to Carnegie Hall tonight with the Philadelphi ...

Engineering students at the University of Miami combine inventive materials with a new construction ...

Women’s soccer World Cup champion Megan Rapinoe urged University of Miami students to fight for equa ...

Engineering and business professors met with officials from the City of North Bay Village and Miami- ...

Keith Stone had a bevy of options to pick from when deciding where to spend his final year as a coll ...

University of Miami junior cornerback Trajan Bandy was named ACC Defensive Back of the Week after a ...

Shannon McCarthy and BIIK Kazygurt are set to face off against FC Bayern Munich in the UEFA Champion ...

The Hurricanes got a much-needed conference win Friday night over Virginia. Now Miami looks to build ...

Kristina Fisher registers her 17th career assist to move into second on the program's all-time ...