Soccer, Sports

Hurricanes soccer defeats Jacksonville University Dolphins, 7-0

The Hurricanes bounced back from Friday night’s tough loss with a convincing 7-0 victory over the Jacksonville University Dolphins on Sunday afternoon.

The scoring started early when redshirt senior defender Shannon McCarthy drove a cross that was buried by junior forward Ronnie Johnson in the 13th minute.

“I was just looking to get away from my mark because they were playing really tight,” Johnson said after the game. “Shannon’s cross was perfect.”

Despite dominating the first half and outshooting the Dolphins (1-3-0) 14-4, the Canes (3-1-0) went into the second half with only a 1-0 lead.

Five minutes into the second period, breakout freshman forward Kristina Fisher doubled the lead on a penalty kick after she was tripped up in the opposing box. Johnson added another goal two minutes later, sidestepping a defender and striking just under the crossbar. Fisher then tallied a second score of her own, unassisted in the 65th minute.

Due to her early dominance, Fisher was asked if the team’s game plan now is to simply pass the ball to her and let her shoot. The team-leading scorer laughed.

“Somewhat,” she said. “We’re just trying to get the ball to teammates because we’re all capable of scoring.”

Senior forward Gracie Lachowecki scored back-to-back goals two minutes apart to cement Miami’s victory. A seventh goal was notched thanks to a header made by freshman midfielder Lauren Markwith in the dying minutes of the contest.

“It was better in the second half,” Johnson said of the team’s offensive dominance.

The Hurricanes will look to continue that dominance Friday night against the Miami (OH) Redhawks at 7 p.m. at Cobb Stadium.

Danny LaRose

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

The N’Kosi Perry era is here. Whether it’s here to stay is yet to be seen. The fans got what they wa ...

Ten takeaways from UM’s 31-17 win against FIU on Saturday at Hard Rock Stadium: ▪ Credit Mark Richt ...

As the Miami Hurricanes started their third series against the FIU Panthers on Saturday afternoon, t ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team is headed to the championship one of th ...

The Miami women's tennis team posted a 5-2 mark in official matches on the second day of the Mi ...

Freshman Riley Howard continued her incredible start as a Canes cross country runner setting another ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to host Virginia Tech Sunday at noon at Cobb Stadium. ...