Soccer, Sports

UM soccer falls to Ohio State Buckeyes, 2-1

Senior midfielder Gianna Dal Pozzo (7) handles the ball during the Canes’ regular season home opener against Ohio State Friday night at Cobb Stadium. Joshua White // Contributing Photographer

The Hurricanes dropped their home opener to the Ohio State Buckeyes 2-1 at Cobb Stadium Friday evening.

“I thought we did a really great job,” Miami Head Coach Mary-Frances Monroe said. “We found ourselves getting into some great scoring chance and we were able to put one away. So I’m really proud of the team.”

Miami (2-1) conceded their first goal of the season when Ohio State (3-0) senior forward Lindsay Agnew scored a goal near post in the 11th minute.

After some missed chances the rest of the first half, Miami came out of halftime with a bang. The Hurricanes tied it up in the 47th minute when freshman forward Kristina Fisher received a through ball from sophomore midfielder Niccola Venezia and connected for the equalizing goal.

“I knew we needed to get up on the board to tie us with Ohio State and give us a chance to get back in the game,” Fisher said. The NSCAA college player of the week has four goals in three matches to begin her freshman campaign.

While some big saves from redshirt sophomore goalkeeper Phallon Tullis-Joyce kept the game knotted up, the Buckeyes were able to sneak one past the Canes’ defense in the 75th minute when junior Sammy Edwards scored on a header off a Nikki Walts cross.

The Buckeyes were able to keep the Canes in check the remaining 15 minutes, ultimately handing Miami their first loss of the season.

“We just have to limit the amount of turnovers,” Monroe said. “Simple passes that we should be completing hurt us a few times especially against a very good Ohio State team, and we need to connect more on the attacking side of the game.”

The Buckeyes outshot the Canes 11-6 and dominated possession for most of the night.

Miami will have a chance to bring their home winning percentage to .500 on Sunday when they play Jacksonville at 1 p.m. at Cobb Stadium.

Josh White

Though it’s early, UM already has assembled an outstanding nine-member 2020 recruiting class, a grou ...

Three days before they open their season against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights, the Miami Hurricanes h ...

The first half of Wednesday night’s game was as lousy as the weather outside the Watsco Center, as t ...

UM coach Manny Diaz took his staff to the Florida Keys on Tuesday evening to visit with famous Keys ...

Dominic Mammarelli didn’t only commit to the Miami Hurricanes because of Mark Richt and his old staf ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The Shelley family shares their story of four generations at the University of Miami. ...

Mark Rowlands, a University of Miami professor who adopted and raised a wolf-dog cub, observed the s ...

The Canes open the 75th season in program history and first under the direction of head coach Gino D ...

The No. 15 Miami women's tennis team is set to open league competition Saturday afternoon with ...

ACC unveils opponents for 20-game conference schedules for next three seasons. ...

Miami tops Clemson 65-64, as Johnson hits game-winner with 0.4 seconds remaining. ...

The Miami women's tennis team ascended two spots in this week's Oracle/ITA team rankings a ...