Football, Sports

Football players Jermaine Grace, Al-Quadin Muhammad dismissed from program

The Hurricanes football team’s defense has just taken a huge blow. Senior linebacker Jermaine Grace and redshirt junior defensive end Al-Quadin Muhammad are both no longer on the team.

Head Coach Mark Richt released this statement today:

“The University of Miami announced today that red-shirt junior Al-Quadin Muhammad and senior Jermaine Grace have been permanently dismissed from the Hurricanes football program for violating NCAA rules.  The University will, however, continue their financial aid through graduation.  The decision was made in consultation with outside counsel and after discussions with the NCAA enforcement staff.  As no staff members or boosters were involved in the violations, the program will not be subject to sanctions and, at this time, the University deems this matter closed.”

According to the Palm Beach Post, both players missed parts of practice on Thursday due to an NCAA investigation dealing with their use of luxury rental cars.

Grace and Muhammad were expected to anchor the Miami defense that has many inexperienced freshmen on the roster this season. Grace led the Canes in tackles with 79, and Muhammed contributed five sacks and eight-and-a-half tackles for loss last season, leading the team in both areas.

The team will obviously take on the “next man up” mentality to fill the shoes of the lost defensive players. Defensive Coordinator Manny Diaz has his work cut out for him to find the right replacements.

Isaiah Kim-Martinez

Isaiah Kim-Martinez can be reached on Twitter at @isaiah_km.

The University of Miami spring game will not be televised or streamed live on the Internet at noon S ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Who were UM’s standouts this spring, heading into Sa ...

As the Miami Hurricanes have spent the spring trying to find answers to question after question on o ...

Navaughn Donaldson knew one thing mattered above all when he was forced to start playing center ahea ...

This spring hasn’t been easy for Miami redshirt sophomore Tate Martell, the former Ohio State quarte ...

The Division of Student Affairs hosted a reception to present campus-wide awards and scholarships to ...

The University of Miami celebrates Earth Day with a host of activities at or near the Lakeside Patio ...

The nation’s oldest and most-widely known academic honor society inducted 45 students from the Colle ...

For the second installment of its “What Matters to U” lecture series, Student Government invited act ...

There is at least one member of House Hurricane in the Seven Kingdoms: alumnus David Nutter, who sha ...

Following a 4-1 victory over No. 13-seed Virginia Tech Thursday in its ACC Championship opener, the ...

The fifth-seeded Miami women's tennis team started ACC Championship competition with a 4-1 vict ...

The Hurricanes will battle fourth-seed NC State in the quarterfinals Friday at 9 a.m. ...

The Canes made a late charge, but fell short at No. 8 Louisville 7-5 ...

Because of expected inclement weather, Thursday's game time has been moved up one hour to 5 p.m ...