Football, Sports

Football players Jermaine Grace, Al-Quadin Muhammad dismissed from program

The Hurricanes football team’s defense has just taken a huge blow. Senior linebacker Jermaine Grace and redshirt junior defensive end Al-Quadin Muhammad are both no longer on the team.

Head Coach Mark Richt released this statement today:

“The University of Miami announced today that red-shirt junior Al-Quadin Muhammad and senior Jermaine Grace have been permanently dismissed from the Hurricanes football program for violating NCAA rules.  The University will, however, continue their financial aid through graduation.  The decision was made in consultation with outside counsel and after discussions with the NCAA enforcement staff.  As no staff members or boosters were involved in the violations, the program will not be subject to sanctions and, at this time, the University deems this matter closed.”

According to the Palm Beach Post, both players missed parts of practice on Thursday due to an NCAA investigation dealing with their use of luxury rental cars.

Grace and Muhammad were expected to anchor the Miami defense that has many inexperienced freshmen on the roster this season. Grace led the Canes in tackles with 79, and Muhammed contributed five sacks and eight-and-a-half tackles for loss last season, leading the team in both areas.

The team will obviously take on the “next man up” mentality to fill the shoes of the lost defensive players. Defensive Coordinator Manny Diaz has his work cut out for him to find the right replacements.

Isaiah Kim-Martinez

Isaiah Kim-Martinez can be reached on Twitter at @isaiah_km.

Before Daniel Carter decided to sign with the Pittsburgh Panthers out of St. Thomas Aquinas, the fou ...

Lots of nuggets on new UM quarterback Tate Martell, the fallout and Jarren Williams’ reaction: ▪ Whe ...

Katie Meier is a legend at Duke. Her photo hangs in the concourse at Cameron Indoor Arena. She was t ...

New University of Miami head coach Manny Diaz was asked on the radio the morning after he was hired, ...

Jalen Hurts is off the market — and he’s not making his way to South Florida. The former Alabama Cri ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

Gisela Vega, the former associate director of LGBTQA Initiatives at Florida International University ...

With new “personas” allowing for a more personalized mobile experience, the redesigned University of ...

Teams of scholars will use U-LINK grants to examine ways to reduce opportunity gaps and biases in mu ...

Miami released its 2019 football schedule highlighted by a season-opening matchup against Florida in ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Thursday that ESPN reporter and UM alumna Allison Williams w ...

University of Miami head women's volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara announced Monda ...

After a weekend bye, the Miami women's basketball team resumes action Thursday evening at 7 p.m ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Monday that it will host its fifth annual Celebration of Wom ...