Environment, News

Storm approaches South Florida

A tropical wave about 600 miles southeast of Miami-Dade County could pose a threat to South Florida in the coming days, according to the National Weather Service and the university’s Crisis Decision Team. The area of low pressure, named Invest 99, swept over the Bahamas on Thursday and could develop into a tropical storm or tropical depression.

According to the National Hurricane Center, there is a 40 percent chance of formation by Saturday and 70 percent chance by Tuesday.

The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration said on Thursday that South Fla. could receive, “at a minimum heavy rains and gusty winds” starting this weekend.

University Communications sent out a storm alert via email to the UM community with updates and tips on emergency preparedness.

“At this time, all classes, events, and clinical activities are operating on a regular schedule, and there are no plans to reschedule or curtail operations,” the message said.

For updates throughout the weekend, monitor miami.edu/prepare or the UMiami ENN Facebook and Twitter accounts. The Emergency Information Hotline is 800-227-0354.

Feature photo courtesy Pixabay user jnusch

Isabella Cueto

Isabella Cueto can be reached via email at editor@themiamihurricane.com and through Twitter at @isabellacueto

Tufaan, the University of Miami’s South Asian a cappella group, needs the community’s help to advanc

Dr. Brandon Chatani, a Miller School of Medicine infectious disease specialist, offers advice on way

With the federal Endangered Species Act in danger, University of Miami researchers find that state p

An online exhibit spotlights the talents of two University of Miami incoming Master of Fine Arts gra

Casey Klofstad, political science professor, explains why and how voters should pay attention to pol