Environment, News

Storm approaches South Florida

A tropical wave about 600 miles southeast of Miami-Dade County could pose a threat to South Florida in the coming days, according to the National Weather Service and the university’s Crisis Decision Team. The area of low pressure, named Invest 99, swept over the Bahamas on Thursday and could develop into a tropical storm or tropical depression.

According to the National Hurricane Center, there is a 40 percent chance of formation by Saturday and 70 percent chance by Tuesday.

The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration said on Thursday that South Fla. could receive, “at a minimum heavy rains and gusty winds” starting this weekend.

University Communications sent out a storm alert via email to the UM community with updates and tips on emergency preparedness.

“At this time, all classes, events, and clinical activities are operating on a regular schedule, and there are no plans to reschedule or curtail operations,” the message said.

For updates throughout the weekend, monitor miami.edu/prepare or the UMiami ENN Facebook and Twitter accounts. The Emergency Information Hotline is 800-227-0354.

Feature photo courtesy Pixabay user jnusch

Isabella Cueto

Isabella Cueto can be reached via email at editor@themiamihurricane.com and through Twitter at @isabellacueto

The University of Miami community is invited to participate in several events to discuss crucial topics regarding social justice and racial equality, explored in Ijeoma Oluo’s best-seller. ...

University writing experts weigh in on the inaugural poem, written and recited by Amanda Gorman, a 22-year-old U.S. youth poet laureate. ...

The number of ambassadors has been increased from 75 to 100 as the University continues to support a safe environment and help students adhere to COVID-19 guidelines. ...

The series—which will feature experts discussing their groundbreaking research on corals, ocean and atmospheric science, and how climate change is forcing communities to alter their long-range plans—will begin this week. ...

Octavia Bridges—a 20-year veteran of the University of Miami Police Department and the first Black woman to serve as a lieutenant—has been promoted to oversee crime prevention and community relations on the Coral Gables Campus. ...