News, Senate Recap

Senate Recap: Health updates from guest speaker, updates on campus

Health updates from guest speaker

The first meeting of Student Senate for the fall semester had guest speaker Dr. Howard Anapol, director of Student Health Service, speak about the upcoming ambulatory Lennar Foundation Medical Center and information on the Zika virus.

The biggest change will be the move from the current building of Student Health Service to the new Lennar Foundation Medical Center later this year. Among the benefits for Student Health is that students have access to all new facilities available, including the Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center, No. 1 eye hospital Bascom Palmer Eye Institute and other multi-disciplinary clinics, facilities that before were only available at the Miller School of Medicine.

As for the move, Dr. Anapol said, “Modern technology makes it pretty easy, and [it]should run smoothly.”

Moreover, once the current Student Health Service across from the Pavia Garage move into the new medical center, their building will undergo renovation to prepare for the Counseling Center to move in. The renovations are expected to take place next year.

After the Zika virus started appearing in Miami, Dr. Anapol assured students that Zika is predominantly an issue for pregnant women, or women considering to become pregnant. For women considering pregnancy, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommends waiting eight weeks for the infection to clear from your blood. For men infected, CDC recommends waiting six months for sexual activity without a condom.

“We try to not overreact, but we also try to not underreact,” said Dr. Anapol.

Updates on Campus

• LGBQ center opens today, Aug 25.
  • Construction on new architecture studio begins January 17.
  • Pedestrian overpass is expected to open Spring of 2017.
  • New dorms are expected to be opened Fall of 2019.

Notes:

• President Julio Frenk will be attending the Senate meeting on October 5.
  • Sep 8 is the last day to pay outstanding balances on your account before you are dropped from your classes.
  • Filing for Senate elections begins Monday, Aug 29 on the OrgSync webpage.

Jorge Chabo

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

As bleak as it seems now for the University of Miami, the Canes can still take a repeat trip to Char ...

A half dozen takeaways from UM’s demoralizing 16-13 loss at Virginia on Saturday: ▪ As was the case ...

So, who’s the quarterback now? The No. 16 Miami Hurricanes came to Charlottesville on Saturday with ...

Home Truth, the story of Jessica Lenahan’s pursuit of more effective domestic violence laws, screene ...

Members of the UM community who want to donate to relief efforts for those impacted by Hurricanes Mi ...

The University of Miami’s Model UN is working to expand its membership and reputation with its first ...

During a keynote address at a conference in Los Angeles, entrepreneurial heavyweight Magic Leap anno ...

A colorless, odorless gas used by a UM scientist to study ocean currents helps save his vision. ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...

The Canes have won five straight games and are 2-0 in the ACC, but they know they have a tough road ...