Zika impacts businesses in local art district Wynwood

It has been a tough month for Wynwood. The neighborhood, previously known for its monthly Art Walk and thriving restaurant scene, has made national headlines since it was first confirmed on July 29th that locally-transmitted cases of Zika virus had been diagnosed in the area. The CDC issued a travel warning for pregnant women, the first of its kind within the United States, as the virus can cause microcephaly in infants, a condition associated with severe birth defects. With fears about the virus running high, local businesses have noticed a decline in visitors.

“August tends to be a very slow month in the Miami restaurant and events business, so it’s hard to exactly pinpoint the cause of business being slow,” said Della Heiman, founder and CEO of The Wynwood Yard, an outdoor cultural space that features restaurant pop-ups and community events. “However, it has been quite slow at The Wynwood Yard and all around Wynwood.”

The Wynwood Yard has been hit particularly hard by the Zika downturn. After three employees tested positive for the virus, the management made the decision to temporarily close for a few days in early August, reopening only after comprehensive staff training and the installation of a mosquito mitigation system to minimize any future risk of further transmission. Like many other Wynwood businesses, it also provides free mosquito repellent to visitors. According to Heiman, neighbors have rallied around the start-up in this difficult time.

“We’re just really grateful to the community for the support they have shown us ever since we re-opened,” Heiman said.

To entice customers to return to the neighborhood, earlier this month many establishments participated in the Love for Locals campaign, offering limited-time-only deals and extended happy hours. Several of these promotions, including establishments Beaker and Gray, Joey’s, and Wynwood Kitchen and Bar, extend through the end of August. The Wynwood Yard is throwing a welcome-back party this coming Saturday with a craft fair and specials on milk and cookies from all of its featured vendors.

“We are hoping to remind people of what a magical, vibrant community Wynwood is, such a gem in both our city and country,” Heiman said. “Wynwood is full of small businesses like ours that need local support in order to survive, especially at this time”

Until earlier this week, Florida health officials had stated that Zika-carrying mosquitos, which only fly a few hundred feet away from their birthplace in their lifetime, were confined to a square mile in Wynwood. However, last Friday Gov. Rick Scott announced that five cases had been contracted in Miami Beach. It remains to be seen whether Miami Beach, one of the area’s most popular tourist destinations, will experience a similar business downturn like Wynwood. But in the meantime, both communities can only wait and see if their best efforts to draw the rest of Miami back, will succeed.

Madelyn Paquette

It was maybe coincidence, but positioned just behind his left shoulder as Tyrique Stevenson spoke ab ...

The Miami Hurricanes unveiled a new turnover chain this season, replacing the bedazzled “U” that han ...

Before now, the last time the Miami Hurricanes scored 21 or fewer points in four consecutive games w ...

Keontra Smith waited a long time for the Miami Hurricnaes to finally offer him. The defensive back g ...

University of Miami true freshman running back Cam’ron Davis, known as Cam for short, is about to lo ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...

The Canes hit the road for the final time in the 2018 regular season and it is to a familiar and hos ...

The Canes top the Golden Eagles to move onto the WNIT Championship game. ...

Miami wraps up its season-opening homestand with a 2 p.m. Saturday matchup against Bethune-Cookman a ...

University of Miami head golf coach Patti Rizzo announced Thursday the signing of three golfers to N ...