Football, Sports

Athletic Director Blake James predicts Canes will play first football game at Hard Rock Stadium

University of Miami Athletic Director Blake James has said that he believes that the Hurricanes football team will have their season opener at the newly titled Hard Rock Stadium on Sept. 3.

There has been a lot of doubt as to whether the venue formally known as Sun Life Stadium would be renovated in time for the first game of the season against Florida A&M University. James clearly wants to put those doubts to rest now that the contest is less than two weeks away.

“I am confident that the game will be played at Hard Rock Stadium,’’ James told the Miami Herald.

James had already told the public during UM media day on Aug. 8 that if there would need to be a location change for the season opener, that he would let them know prior to the two-week mark to the game. He further showed his assurance through a tweet he sent out late Tuesday afternoon.

For a while it seemed likely that Miami would have to play their first game at Camping World Stadium in Orlando, the alternate location.

The Miami Dolphins spent more than $500 million on the renovation of the stadium that will now include new seats, new scoreboards, and a canopy roof that will cover the stands.

Isaiah Kim-Martinez

Isaiah Kim-Martinez can be reached on Twitter at @isaiah_km.

UM was very fortunate that junior linebackers Shaquille Quarterman, Mike Pinckney and Zach McCloud a ...

Hard Rock Stadium will be filled with Miami fans — and probably only Miami fans — when the two colle ...

They made school history on Sunday with a nationally-televised road upset of No. 2 Louisville, and o ...

Mark Walton, the former University of Miami star football player and current Cincinnati Bengal, was ...

Don Chaney Jr. says his recruitment is over and the way he talks about the Miami Hurricanes, it’s ea ...

Miami Law’s Frances Hill answers key questions about the National Emergencies Act. ...

Researcher Rebecca Bulotsky Shearer is leading a study aimed at increasing the number of kids who ar ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team stormed back from a 14-point deficit to pick up the bi ...

Hours after garnering espnW National Player of the Week distinction, Emese Hof of the Miami women ...

For the second straight Monday, a member of the Miami women's basketball team has earned a nati ...

Brian Van Belle struck out five over six shutout innings to help the Canes sweep Rutgers on opening ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami golf team moved up two spots on Monday's leaderboard at t ...