Freshman’s food guide offers 3 local spots

College is all about trying new things academically, socially and even gastronomically. Take the start of a new year to try out something your senses have never experienced – like the texture of raw salmon or the taste of truffle oil – at these hot gastropubs and gourmet offshoots. Whether you’re a freshman or just looking for fresh places, these restaurants will fulfill your foodie desires without breaking the bank.

Buns & Buns

For the price-conscious food connoisseur, this gastropub is the place to get a taste of gourmet on a budget. A small plate of wagyu beef tartare with truffle and porcini sauce might set you back $100 elsewhere, but at Buns & Buns, you can get it for $6. Each entree, from the Japanese yuzu lobster to the Southern-style prime brisket, is under $17. Not everything on the menu will live up to expectations, but the Duroc pork belly, the spinach poofs and the black miso cod are nearly life changing. The chefs’ strengths are highlighted in dishes that blend the restaurant’s Asian, Mediterranean and New World influences, like the asparagus appetizer with red miso powder, tahini and lime. If you’re in the mood for gourmet food in an eclectic, casual atmosphere, take the shuttle to Sunset Place and find Buns & Buns along the main drag.

Bobby’s Burger Place

The New Mexico burger from Bobby's Burger Palace features queso sauce, roasted green chiles, and pickled red onions. Photo courtesy Bobby's Burger Palace

The New Mexico burger from Bobby’s Burger Palace features queso sauce, roasted green chiles, and pickled red onions. Photo courtesy Bobby’s Burger Palace

With its celebrity-chef-designed burgers and famous fries, BBP makes the work of Food Network star Bobby Flay attainable. The small chain takes the cuisines of different cities, like Miami, Philadelphia and Dallas, and crafts them into towering burgers with an (optional) layer of potato chips. The ideas behind each regionally-inspired dish come from Flay’s TV show, “Food Nation,” in which he explores the country and its best food quirks. This backstory makes for the best burger toppings, like the Carolina burger’s green onion slaw and mustard BBQ sauce, the New Mexico burger’s roasted green chiles and queso sauce and the L.A. burger’s avocado relish with watercress. BBP might not be the place for a classy date, but its communal tables and fast service make it the perfect place to hang with classmates. Best yet, it’s just a few metro stops away at the Dadeland Mall.

Station 5 Table & Bar

Smokey honey mustard, brussels , onions, and Cheetos are combined in Station 5's Braised Short Rib Tacos. Evelyn Choi // Staff Photographer

Smokey honey mustard, brussels , onions, and Cheetos are combined in Station 5’s Braised Short Rib Tacos. Evelyn Choi // Staff Photographer

For quirky bites like short rib Cheeto tacos and cereal-sprinkled french toast, visit gastropub and brunch hub Station 5. The restaurant started in Sunset Place two Septembers ago and has served a unique mix of “New American” tapas, snacks and cocktails ever since. While the menu boasts large and small plates, the starters, which include bacon guacamole with plantain chips, ahi tuna poke or Thai-style shrimp tacos, are the standouts. On a weeknight, Station 5 is a cute rustic getaway where you can grab a drink, unwind and indulge in some lobster mac. If you’re with more than four friends, it’s the perfect spot to have Sunday brunch – otherwise, prepare to wait for one of their six tables to clear out; no reservations are taken for small parties.

Haley Walker

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team will begin her fall campaign Thursday a ...

Through three games, Miami is No. 1 in the country in tackles for loss and the entire Hurricanes def ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to return to Cobb Stadium, where it will host No. 12 Duke ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...