Culture, Fashion

Back-to-school fashions keep up with trends

What are you wearing this week? Class time may call for comfort, but there’s nothing like dressing well to boost your confidence on the first day of class. Check out these on-trend ensembles if you’ll be dressing to impress this semester.

polished

Professionally Polished

This outfit is for the person who likes to keep his impressions professional. Pair casual olive slacks with a heather button-down for a timeless first-day-of-class outfit. With suede oxfords and a croc skin belt, this look is a 2016 take on ‘60s schoolyard charm.

leisure

Lecture Hall Leisure

Never compromise comfort for style, especially in a cold lecture hall. This desaturated ensemble provides the warmth and comfort of a long-fit henley and worn jeans, but amplifies the style with a pair of taupe suede boots, a minimalistic watch and round shades. It’s the perfect look for someone who wants to blend in but look great doing it.

blue

Scholastically Monochromatic

This semester, try going head-to-toe with one hue. Break up all the powdered blue with varying textures like denim, suede and leather, then accessorize with gold accents. This look’s circle glasses and low-heeled mules are staples of the ‘70s revival, but a basic tee and simple jewelry make it a timeless library-to-brunch look.

burgundies

Thursday Night Burgundies

If you’re just waiting on the weekend, amp up your Thursday threads with silky textures and glamorous silhouettes. You may be used to dressing down for class, but you can save time and impress with a flattering blouse and tailored pants. When it’s time to ditch the backpack for a bar crawl, pop on some suede booties, a bead-encrusted clutch and a lip dark enough to kiss class goodbye.

Haley Walker

The series—which will feature experts discussing their groundbreaking research on corals, ocean and atmospheric science, and how climate change is forcing communities to alter their long-range plans—will begin this week. ...

Octavia Bridges, a 20-year veteran of the University of Miami Police Department, has been promoted to oversee crime prevention and community relations on the Coral Gables Campus. ...

The Jan. 6 Capitol insurrection has given social scientists and psychologists another example to examine the behavior and actions of groups. ...

Some experts believe that pent-up demand will push the economy into a rebound after the majority of the U.S. population receives the COVID-19 vaccine. ...

All students are required to test negative for COVID-19 before attending any in-person classes, programs, or work shifts on any University of Miami campus. With the start of classes Monday, here is the critical information students need to know. ...