Opinion, Satire

Freshman admitted from Kansas, stirring confusion on campus

In an uncharacteristic mistake, the University of Miami Office of Undergraduate Admission has accidentally admitted a student from Topeka, Kansas into the class of 2020. This marks the first time a student outside of Florida or New Jersey has been accepted. The admissions gaffe has caused confusion throughout the student body.

“I just didn’t know how to handle it,” freshman Alex King said. “I asked her where she was from, and she said, ‘Kansas!’”

According to King, the slew of awkward introductions during Orientation Week was only bearable because everyone could feign satisfaction from jokes about Chris Christie or the notorious “Florida man.”

Lilli Putt, the student from Kansas, says that her first week made her feel “really embarrassed.”

“I had literally never heard the word ‘Publix’ uttered in my life,” Putt said. “Every introduction I had was just so weird. I would ask their name and where they were from, and then they’d ask the same.”

After the initial introductions, these students have been silently staring down at their laps, straining to think of more forced questions to ask each other while they turned their phones on, swiped a couple times and then turned them off.

Determined, Lilli Putt has also tried to befriend a group of commuter students, but when confronted with a non-Florida native, they just yelled at the top of their lungs for 11 minutes straight chanting, “This is how we do it in the 305.”

For now, it seems, the school’s first admit from outside Florida or New Jersey in history will have to accept that she’s not in Kansas anymore.

Conner Barrett is a sophomore majoring in political science. The situations used in this work are fictitious.

Conner Barrett

It appears that at least one LSU receiver won’t be available at the University of Miami football ope ...

After the Miami Hurricanes football team spent part of its practice on Monday in a torrential downpo ...

Nothing like a comic book cover on steroids to get University of Miami and LSU football fans juiced ...

They are two big bodies with experience, but new to the University of Miami. And the Miami Hurricane ...

Freshman quarterback Jarren Williams, who returned to practice Wednesday after missing most of Tuesd ...

Intergroup Dialogue, soon to be offered as a course, fosters a sense of belonging, an appreciation f ...

Aretha Franklin and her music defined “what is soul” to generations of music lovers. ...

The University of Miami kicked into high gear to welcome thousands of new students and ensure move-i ...

UM President Julio Frenk welcomes first-year and transfer students to UM in signature ’Cane Kickoff ...

Miami Law conducts its inaugural Legal Impact Hack for first-year students. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team won its exhibition match over FIU, 3-0, Saturday at the Knig ...

Coming off a road win in its season opener, the University of Miami soccer team will welcome crossto ...

In head coach Sarah Barnes' debut at the helm, the University of Miami soccer team won its seas ...

The Hurricanes practiced in the Carol Soffer Indoor Practice Facility for the first time ever on Fri ...

Malik Rosier, Travis Homer and Ahmmon Richards are key returning playmakers, but they are just the b ...