10 tips to start school year right

The beginning of the semester has finally arrived! Even though freshman orientation has come and gone, there’s still plenty to learn about life at UM. Here are some tips to get your year started on the right foot:

1. Bring a hoodie. It may be 90 degrees and humid outside, but at least one of your classrooms will be freezing. Come prepared.
  2. Don’t take the elevator to the second floor. Unless you have an excuse, this is a dorm faux pas. Avoid the death glares from your friends on the 12th floor and take the stairs.
  3. Figure out what works for you at the gym. If walking up that flight of stairs left you winded, check out the Wellness Center. Whether you’re a Zumba fanatic, weight-lifting enthusiast or you’re just in need of a regular smoothie fix, all your fitness needs are just a few steps away.
  4. Get familiar with all that campus has to offer. UM is more than classes and a lake. There are free concerts, theatre, movies, sports games and more! With more than 270 student organizations, there’s always something interesting going on.
  5. Get off campus. Campus is great, but sometimes you need to get away. Miami has something for everyone: take a picnic to Vizcaya, play dominos in Little Havana, take in the art scene in Wynwood or shop at CocoWalk.
  6. Find your study spot. Whether it’s the gliders, Shalala Center or pool, find a place on campus where you can always be productive. Beware of choosing your bed; unintentional naps are a danger!
  7. Pay attention to your meals. This isn’t just about the Freshman 15. You need to keep track of your remaining swipes. Late Night Dining is great, but are those 1 a.m. French toast sticks worth missing breakfast, lunch and dinner on Sunday?
  8. Drop that 8 a.m. class. Unless you’re the kind of person who wakes up before sunrise for a casual 10-mile run, 8 a.m. classes are a mistake. If you can’t switch, invest in a coffeemaker or Starbucks gift card.
  9. Stock up on green and orange. School pride is a big deal at the U. Don’t accidentally wear the wrong colors to the FSU game!
  10. Keep in touch. As the saying goes: “make new friends, but keep the old.” Share all the highs and lows with your friends back home. That goes for your parents too. They miss you, even if they won’t admit it!

Madelyn Paquette

Friday was strange for Gino DiMare. It wasn’t because his whole family went out to the mound at Alex ...

One thing was obvious to Wayne Younger the first time he got his hands on Ladarius Tennison: The ath ...

Though it’s early, UM already has assembled an outstanding nine-member 2020 recruiting class, a grou ...

Three days before they open their season against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights, the Miami Hurricanes h ...

The first half of Wednesday night’s game was as lousy as the weather outside the Watsco Center, as t ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The University of Miami baseball team opened the Gino DiMare era with a record-setting victory over ...

The Canes open the 75th season in program history and first under the direction of head coach Gino D ...

Game time is 6 p.m. in Chestnut Hill, Mass. ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team will play its second top-five foe in a span of three g ...

The University of Miami golf team heads to the Big Easy to open competition Sunday at the 2019 Allst ...