‘The Miami Hurricane’ student newspaper recognized as best in Florida at SPJ Sunshine State Awards

The Miami Hurricane was named the Best High Frequency Student Publication and Best Student Publication Website in the state by the 2016 Society of Professional Journalists (SPJ) Sunshine State Awards on July 10. The staff also congratulates the following students and alumni who were recognized for their work published in the spring and fall of 2015:

SPJ, founded in 1909, advocates on behalf of journalists’ Freedom of Information and First Amendment rights. The organization is composed of regional chapters around the country and includes both collegiate and professional publications.

The Miami Hurricane was founded in 1929 as the University of Miami’s official student newspaper and will resume its weekly Thursday print issues this fall. For students who are interested in contributing to the newspaper, please email editor@themiamihurricane.com.

Jackie Yang

Jackie Yang can be reached via email at jyang@themiamihurricane.com.

Tufaan, the University of Miami’s South Asian a cappella group, needs the community’s help to advanc

Dr. Brandon Chatani, a Miller School of Medicine infectious disease specialist, offers advice on way

With the federal Endangered Species Act in danger, University of Miami researchers find that state p

An online exhibit spotlights the talents of two University of Miami incoming Master of Fine Arts gra

Casey Klofstad, political science professor, explains why and how voters should pay attention to pol