‘The Miami Hurricane’ student newspaper recognized as best in Florida at SPJ Sunshine State Awards

The Miami Hurricane was named the Best High Frequency Student Publication and Best Student Publication Website in the state by the 2016 Society of Professional Journalists (SPJ) Sunshine State Awards on July 10. The staff also congratulates the following students and alumni who were recognized for their work published in the spring and fall of 2015:

SPJ, founded in 1909, advocates on behalf of journalists’ Freedom of Information and First Amendment rights. The organization is composed of regional chapters around the country and includes both collegiate and professional publications.

The Miami Hurricane was founded in 1929 as the University of Miami’s official student newspaper and will resume its weekly Thursday print issues this fall. For students who are interested in contributing to the newspaper, please email editor@themiamihurricane.com.

Jackie Yang

Jackie Yang can be reached via email at jyang@themiamihurricane.com.

The Miami Hurricanes found new life Saturday — despite so much seemingly going wrong. Big plays on o ...

At least in terms of their bowl situation, the Miami Hurricanes can take a deep, collective breath. ...

Thoughts, notes, reaction and postscripts after UM’s 38-14 win on Saturday at Virginia Tech, making ...

There wasn’t much energy in the Watsco Center stands on Saturday afternoon as most University of Mia ...

View photos from the Bethune-Cookman wildcats at Miami Hurricanes in a NCAA college basketball game ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

Seniors Kolby Bird and Haley Templeton will play in their final match at the James L. Knight Sports ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...

The Canes hit the road for the final time in the 2018 regular season and it is to a familiar and hos ...