‘The Miami Hurricane’ student newspaper recognized as best in Florida at SPJ Sunshine State Awards

The Miami Hurricane was named the Best High Frequency Student Publication and Best Student Publication Website in the state by the 2016 Society of Professional Journalists (SPJ) Sunshine State Awards on July 10. The staff also congratulates the following students and alumni who were recognized for their work published in the spring and fall of 2015:

SPJ, founded in 1909, advocates on behalf of journalists’ Freedom of Information and First Amendment rights. The organization is composed of regional chapters around the country and includes both collegiate and professional publications.

The Miami Hurricane was founded in 1929 as the University of Miami’s official student newspaper and will resume its weekly Thursday print issues this fall. For students who are interested in contributing to the newspaper, please email editor@themiamihurricane.com.

Jackie Yang

Jackie Yang can be reached via email at jyang@themiamihurricane.com.

The Asa Martin era for the Miami Hurricanes might be coming to an end just six months after it began ...

Avantae Williams and Lorenzo Lingard punctuated Paradise Camp with a chest bump. The Miami Hurricane ...

Sebastian the Ibis of the University of Miami displayed tremendous defense in leading the Pizza Hut ...

June is one of the most important months in the recruiting calendar and the Miami Hurricanes finishe ...

A six-pack of notes from UM’s annual Paradise Camp on Saturday: ▪ Few Canes greats have as unique a ...

In the first course of its kind on a college campus, faculty, staff, and students will learn if they ...

University of Miami Libraries is working to establish a University archive of LGBTQ materials. ...

University of Miami football players and coaches mentored area youth at a free football clinic in Ho ...

Some scientists fear that the new fifth generation of wireless networks interferes with critical sat ...

A new study led by Miller School professor Dr. Claes Wahlestedt observes that key molecular programs ...

Five members of the Miami women's tennis team earned All-ACC Academic Team distinction, as anno ...

Eight Miami Hurricanes were among those recognized by the conference with selections to the Track an ...

Franco Aubone and Francisco Bastias of the University of Miami men's tennis team were selected ...

UM forward Dewan Hernandez was selected 59th overall by the Toronto Raptors in the 2019 NBA Draft. ...

Check out the June edition of UM Athletics' e-magazine. ...