Campus Life, News

Take Back the Night raises awareness of sexual assault, promotes healing

No Zebras: ‘Canes Against Sexual Assault hosted an open-mic forum for students to share their experience with sexual assault at the Labyrinth by the Hecht-Stanford Bridge on Monday.

The annual Take Back the Night event is a great platform for healing and recovery, according to No Zebras President Brenna Riley. The night was organized during national Sexual Awareness and Prevention Month. Prior to speaking to the crowd, Riley said that speaking about experiences could be helpful for victims.

“For students that have experienced something like this, it’s a very healing event to be able to come and let out some of the feelings that might have been inside,” Riley said.

Riley took the podium first and shared the number for the counseling center, 305-284-5511, encouraging victims not to hesitate to reach out. Then, she told the crowd of her own experience with assault.

The organization aims to raise awareness and educate the University of Miami and the surrounding community, which is another reason that Take Back the Night is such a big event for the organization.

“It raises awareness for the people that are coming here to see real people that these things have happened to, and it really kind of hits home,” Riley said. “It makes people more aware of the issue and want to do something about it.”

David Ufberg

The University of Miami spring game will not be televised or streamed live on the Internet at noon S ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Who were UM’s standouts this spring, heading into Sa ...

As the Miami Hurricanes have spent the spring trying to find answers to question after question on o ...

Navaughn Donaldson knew one thing mattered above all when he was forced to start playing center ahea ...

This spring hasn’t been easy for Miami redshirt sophomore Tate Martell, the former Ohio State quarte ...

Yvette Soler, B.M. ’96, better known as Tigrilla Gardenia, connects her music engineering background ...

Preservation Week, from April 21 to April 27, is focused on highlighting the importance of learning ...

There are numerous ways to connect with the University of Miami during the two-day tech conference o ...

A symbol of both French heritage and Catholicism, Paris’ 850-year-old gothic cathedral was gutted by ...

The Division of Student Affairs hosted a reception to present campus-wide awards and scholarships to ...

Nearly 10,000 fans got a glimpse of things to come at Camping World Stadium ...

It took much longer than anticipated, but the No. 23 Miami Hurricanes outlasted No. 8 Louisville, 16 ...

Making its fourth straight appearance in the ACC Championship semifinals, the fifth-seeded and No. 2 ...

The fifth-seeded and No. 21-ranked Miami women's tennis team knocked off fourth-seeded and nint ...

Miami was leading, 10-3, when umpires suspended play at 7 p.m. on Friday. ...