Campus Life, News

Take Back the Night raises awareness of sexual assault, promotes healing

No Zebras: ‘Canes Against Sexual Assault hosted an open-mic forum for students to share their experience with sexual assault at the Labyrinth by the Hecht-Stanford Bridge on Monday.

The annual Take Back the Night event is a great platform for healing and recovery, according to No Zebras President Brenna Riley. The night was organized during national Sexual Awareness and Prevention Month. Prior to speaking to the crowd, Riley said that speaking about experiences could be helpful for victims.

“For students that have experienced something like this, it’s a very healing event to be able to come and let out some of the feelings that might have been inside,” Riley said.

Riley took the podium first and shared the number for the counseling center, 305-284-5511, encouraging victims not to hesitate to reach out. Then, she told the crowd of her own experience with assault.

The organization aims to raise awareness and educate the University of Miami and the surrounding community, which is another reason that Take Back the Night is such a big event for the organization.

“It raises awareness for the people that are coming here to see real people that these things have happened to, and it really kind of hits home,” Riley said. “It makes people more aware of the issue and want to do something about it.”

David Ufberg

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Monday night: ▪ FIU has decided that its Nov. 23 football game agains ...

Dewan Hernandez hit another NCAA roadblock on Monday, but the University of Miami forward will take ...

Jeff Thomas will be joining the Illinois Fighting Illini after all. After a few days of discussion a ...

While the University of Miami awaits what quarterback it will get Feb. 6 on National Signing Day, ne ...

It appears the University of Miami football program has found its answer to intelligent, energetic, ...

Grantees aim to eliminate opportunity gaps and biases in different realms and improve brain injury t ...

The film launches the 2019 film series for the UM Libraries Cuban Heritage Collection. ...

Here’s a go-to list of dates you should keep an eye on throughout the semester, along with some tidb ...

For more than 77 years, UM Hillel has provided a vibrant and diverse “home-away-from-home” that is f ...

University of Miami experts weigh in on the largest increase in carbon emissions in eight years. ...

The University of Miami football program has hired Dan Enos as its offensive coordinator and quarter ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team wrapped up play on its first weekend of competition Sunday ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Monday that it will host its fifth annual Celebration of Wom ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team wrapped up play at the Miami Spring Invite Sunday, wi ...

Chris Lykes scored 25 points as Miami got past Wake Forest. ...