Most worthwhile experiences gained outside classroom

As a soon-to-be UM graduate, I feel semi-confident saying this: do not solely rely on classes to prepare yourself for the outside world. The best way to gain experience in your future field … actually working in that field. This is not a groundbreaking take, but it is what comes to mind first when reflecting on the last four years.

Since I’m a sucker interested in journalism, writing for the Hurricane and the Miami Herald was far more valuable than any one class. (Except for yours, Professor Kaufman, of course! Please don’t fail me.) This is through no fault of the professors here. There’s just no way for them to replicate the singular experience of writing on deadline with editors counting on you to deliver.

This applies to every profession, not just journalism. If you run a successful business while in school or code a useful program, employers will be far more impressed than if you made the Dean’s List junior year. Future surgeons and lawyers … sorry this isn’t very useful advice. Performing heart surgery or trying a case in front of a judge while still an undergrad may not be feasible.

Acing your classes will make your parents happy, but it isn’t necessarily what will land you your dream job. Take advantage of all the opportunities in the city of Miami, not just the university.

Mark Singer is graduating with a degree in English and will be attending Northwestern’s Medill School of Journalism.

Mark Singer

The Miami Hurricanes may have found their future quarterback. Tate Martell, a former four-star recru ...

At 7:27 p.m Tuesday, University of Miami football coach Manny Diaz tweeted a GIF of a swirling Hurri ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ As Miami awaits decisions from its potential 2019 qua ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Monday night: ▪ FIU has decided that its Nov. 23 football game agains ...

Dewan Hernandez hit another NCAA roadblock on Monday, but the University of Miami forward will take ...

Gisela Vega, the former associate director of LGBTQA Initiatives at Florida International University ...

With new “personas” allowing for a more personalized mobile experience, the redesigned University of ...

Teams of scholars will use U-LINK grants to examine ways to reduce opportunity gaps and biases in mu ...

The film launches the 2019 film series for the UM Libraries Cuban Heritage Collection. ...

Here’s a go-to list of dates you should keep an eye on throughout the semester, along with some tidb ...

University of Miami head women's volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara announced Monda ...

The University of Miami football program has hired Dan Enos as its offensive coordinator and quarter ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Monday that it will host its fifth annual Celebration of Wom ...

After a weekend bye, the Miami women's basketball team resumes action Thursday evening at 7 p.m ...

Pictures from the No. 17 Miami women's tennis team's season-opening action in the Miami Sp ...