Opinion, Staff Editorial

Mediums may change, but paper’s focus remains to provide impactful stories

Working in the newsroom, we get used to things changing fast. Yesterday’s headlines are lining tomorrow’s trash bins. Trending topics are quickly superseded by the newest controversies.

Journalism itself evolves. The morning paper, once a household staple, has now become an outdated habit. It is rare to see people, particularly students our own age, pick up a physical newspaper. Rather, they receive their news through brief glances at their Facebook feed and concise 140-character tweets.

As student journalists, we still hold these pieces of newsprint dear to our hearts. We love holding it in our hands and flattening out the wrinkles and folds. We love stacking the issues up in our drawers and rifling through them a year later.

But we realize that readership is going to change with the times, and our next steps as a paper will be to reorient our work to meet those needs. Any possible changes in the coming semester will allow us to better serve the community with higher-quality news, opinions, sports and arts and entertainment features.

The challenge of adapting journalism to a growing culture of instantaneity will push us to tell stories in new, creative ways. At the same time, our pool of knowledge about a variety of subjects is exponentially larger because we can utilize this thing we call technology. At the end of the day, regardless of whether we are working on the physical page or the digital screen, our commitment remains to bring our readers stories that matter.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane student newspaper.

Editorial Board

By showing how the controversial crime-fighting strategy is unevenly employed in marginalized neighb ...

Hosmay Lopez, of the NOAA Cooperative Institute for Marine and Atmospheric Studies at the University ...

UM alumna Shirley Hoffman Kilkelly was one of the few women engineers who worked on the Apollo 11 mo ...

College of Engineering alumnus Frank DeMattia was just 21 years old when he went to work at NASA on ...

Registered dietitian Stephanie Sanchez shares realistic, healthy ways to get you on track and headed ...

Junior defensive back Trajan Bandy was among those players named to the 2019 Jim Thorpe Award Presea ...

Seniors Michael Pinckney and Shaquille Quarterman were among those players named to the watch list f ...

Sophomore tight end Brevin Jordan was among the 60 players named to the 2019 John Mackey Award Prese ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team added yet another elite accolade to her ...

Redshirt senior wide receiver K.J. Osborn was among six ACC players named to The Biletnikoff Award W ...