Initial interest in journalism turned into integral experience

It’s here? After nearly four years and 150 deadline nights, on this eve of my final one, I find it difficult to comprehend that I am confronting the end.

As a freshman, I saw the opportunity of joining The Miami Hurricane as a photojournalist and decided to pursue it as a means to practice my fondness for photography. However, doing so also brought forth a previously subconscious passion for journalism.

The thrill of covering breaking events, rushing to make ever-so-early deadlines and enjoying the satisfaction of successfully conveying a story through photography became addicting. I developed a love for what I was doing and dedicated my utmost effort to honing my skills. When I first walked into the old TMH newsroom, the one without glass doors and floor-to-ceiling windows, I had no idea that I would one day leave holding the position I do today.

The privilege of leading a truly talented group, the satisfaction of witnessing our accomplishments, the friendships forged and the responsibility of navigating through the inevitable struggles of heading a publication have led me to cherish my time spent here.

Through these years, I have met and worked with an amazing set of individuals, and I will never forget the hectic, yet incredibly exciting, deadline nights. I thank my dedicated staff, our faculty adviser Ileana Oroza, who is also departing TMH this year, financial adviser Steve Priepke and senior accounting assistant Isabel Vichot, and all others who I’ve had the pleasure of working with.

While I look forward to beginning a new stage of my life, I also know I will dearly miss the chapter I am closing. I wish the incoming editor-in-chief, Julie Harans, and her staff my best wishes. I am eager to see where they take TMH.

Nick Gangemi is graduating with a degree in economics and will be attending the University of Miami School of Law.

Nick Gangemi

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Listeners to UM President Julio Frenk’s State of the U reacted positively to the message and the Uni ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Tropical storm scientists and climate experts at the University of Miami provided insight, observati ...

Joseph Ganitsky, a professor in the Miami Business School, examines the financial crisis facing Arge ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...