Initial interest in journalism turned into integral experience

It’s here? After nearly four years and 150 deadline nights, on this eve of my final one, I find it difficult to comprehend that I am confronting the end.

As a freshman, I saw the opportunity of joining The Miami Hurricane as a photojournalist and decided to pursue it as a means to practice my fondness for photography. However, doing so also brought forth a previously subconscious passion for journalism.

The thrill of covering breaking events, rushing to make ever-so-early deadlines and enjoying the satisfaction of successfully conveying a story through photography became addicting. I developed a love for what I was doing and dedicated my utmost effort to honing my skills. When I first walked into the old TMH newsroom, the one without glass doors and floor-to-ceiling windows, I had no idea that I would one day leave holding the position I do today.

The privilege of leading a truly talented group, the satisfaction of witnessing our accomplishments, the friendships forged and the responsibility of navigating through the inevitable struggles of heading a publication have led me to cherish my time spent here.

Through these years, I have met and worked with an amazing set of individuals, and I will never forget the hectic, yet incredibly exciting, deadline nights. I thank my dedicated staff, our faculty adviser Ileana Oroza, who is also departing TMH this year, financial adviser Steve Priepke and senior accounting assistant Isabel Vichot, and all others who I’ve had the pleasure of working with.

While I look forward to beginning a new stage of my life, I also know I will dearly miss the chapter I am closing. I wish the incoming editor-in-chief, Julie Harans, and her staff my best wishes. I am eager to see where they take TMH.

Nick Gangemi is graduating with a degree in economics and will be attending the University of Miami School of Law.

Nick Gangemi

A University of Miami College of Engineering researcher is trying to perfect a technique of using lu ...

Through an internship with M. Shanken Communications, rising senior Teddy Willson has contributed to ...

University of Miami alumna Vanessa Garcia recounts her personal journey writing for the highly accla ...

University of Miami religious studies professor Catherine Newell weighs in on some of the big questi ...

NASA wants to return humans to the moon by 2024. A University of Miami engineering graduate is part ...

Two Miami Hurricanes were among those players selected to the preseason watch list for the 25th annu ...

ESPN Events announced Thursday afternoon the bracket for the 2019 Charleston Classic, set to take pl ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday its 2018-19 academic honor roll and 177 University o ...

The ACC Network is set to launch August 22. If your television provider hasn't yet decided to c ...

Claudia De Antonio, Renate Grimstad and Kristyna Frydlova were each selected as WGCA All-American Sc ...