Campus Life, News, Senate Recap, Student Government

Bill appointing unique population seat for veteran students passes

The final meeting for Student Government Senate included the last bills of the semester and closing announcements from Speaker of the Senate Josh Zuchniarz.

Zuchniarz announced that he and Henson Destine, the speaker pro tempore, hope to start raising awareness of Senate by preparing over the summer.

The Senate passed a bill by unanimous consent that appoints a unique population seat for the veteran student population. This gives them one seat alongside the transfer students, who have three unique population seats. Although the veteran students have a seat as the Veteran Students Organization (VSO), organization seats are up for review in the fall. Zuchniarz said that the ideal decision would be to remove the VSO seat, as it will be covered through the new unique population seat.

“The decision was very lop-sided, in favor of ‘Yes,’” Zuchniarz said about the position.

The Senate passed a bill to allocate additional funds for the Public Relations Committee and a new Involvement Board.

The new chairs and vice chairs for each committee were announced in Senate as follows:

Academic Affairs: chair, Sarah Betancourt; vice chair, George Liu

Policy and Finance: chair, Ritika Malkani; vice chair, Sandeep Dhingra

University Affairs: chair, David Mejia; vice chair, Milind Khurana

Public Relations: chair, Emmy Savidge; vice chair, Revanth Boda

Notes:

Hug the Lake is this Friday at 12:05 p.m.

The new ECO Agency co-director is Jessica Deaver.

Jorge Chabo

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

George Stewart had a big problem, and little time to solve it. It was Week 6 of the 2018 season, and ...

One of the interesting subplots of this Hurricanes season will be watching the evolution of a bunch ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ Coach Manny Diaz said the quarterback race among Ta ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami Libraries offer readers multiple ways to access the books, which are popular ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Martin Grosell weighs in on how marine life in the Gulf could be affect ...

Varona, an attorney and educator who specializes in administrative law, communications and media law ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...

Courtney spent nine years previously on Jim Larranaga's staff from 1996-2005. ...

The University of Miami track and field program received 17 All-America honors at the conclusion of ...