Campus Life, News, Senate Recap, Student Government

Bill appointing unique population seat for veteran students passes

The final meeting for Student Government Senate included the last bills of the semester and closing announcements from Speaker of the Senate Josh Zuchniarz.

Zuchniarz announced that he and Henson Destine, the speaker pro tempore, hope to start raising awareness of Senate by preparing over the summer.

The Senate passed a bill by unanimous consent that appoints a unique population seat for the veteran student population. This gives them one seat alongside the transfer students, who have three unique population seats. Although the veteran students have a seat as the Veteran Students Organization (VSO), organization seats are up for review in the fall. Zuchniarz said that the ideal decision would be to remove the VSO seat, as it will be covered through the new unique population seat.

“The decision was very lop-sided, in favor of ‘Yes,’” Zuchniarz said about the position.

The Senate passed a bill to allocate additional funds for the Public Relations Committee and a new Involvement Board.

The new chairs and vice chairs for each committee were announced in Senate as follows:

Academic Affairs: chair, Sarah Betancourt; vice chair, George Liu

Policy and Finance: chair, Ritika Malkani; vice chair, Sandeep Dhingra

University Affairs: chair, David Mejia; vice chair, Milind Khurana

Public Relations: chair, Emmy Savidge; vice chair, Revanth Boda

Notes:

Hug the Lake is this Friday at 12:05 p.m.

The new ECO Agency co-director is Jessica Deaver.

Jorge Chabo

The tweets that foreshadowed Thursday’s news for the Miami Hurricanes began the third week of Januar ...

UM coach Manny Diaz, who expressed disappointment in Miami’s South Florida recruiting efforts in the ...

Miami baseball coach Gino DiMare didn’t want his Hurricanes this past Sunday looking ahead to the we ...

When UM spring practice begins in a month, here’s one of many things the coaches need to determine: ...

Jaiden Francois already had a reputation as one of South Florida’s top defensive backs for the Class ...

Prominent music scholar Kyra Gaunt will deliver a talk Friday about her research into the racial opp ...

Students are invited to participate in the second annual Students of Color Symposium this weekend, f ...

At an annual luncheon, University of Miami scholarship recipients connect with the donors who help m ...

From eliminating waste to reusable containers, there are simple steps you can take to make UM more s ...

UM public health experts try to help tackle Venezuela’s ongoing health care crisis. ...

Michelle Atherley of the Miami track and field team made history on Thursday, as she dominated from ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team dropped a 73-65 decision Thursday night to Virginia Te ...

Riding a four-game winning streak, the Canes head to Gainesville, Fla., for a three-game rivalry ser ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team is set to cap its longest road stretch of the season T ...

Check out the February edition of UM Athletics' e-magazine. ...