Campus Life, News, Senate Recap, Student Government

Bill appointing unique population seat for veteran students passes

The final meeting for Student Government Senate included the last bills of the semester and closing announcements from Speaker of the Senate Josh Zuchniarz.

Zuchniarz announced that he and Henson Destine, the speaker pro tempore, hope to start raising awareness of Senate by preparing over the summer.

The Senate passed a bill by unanimous consent that appoints a unique population seat for the veteran student population. This gives them one seat alongside the transfer students, who have three unique population seats. Although the veteran students have a seat as the Veteran Students Organization (VSO), organization seats are up for review in the fall. Zuchniarz said that the ideal decision would be to remove the VSO seat, as it will be covered through the new unique population seat.

“The decision was very lop-sided, in favor of ‘Yes,’” Zuchniarz said about the position.

The Senate passed a bill to allocate additional funds for the Public Relations Committee and a new Involvement Board.

The new chairs and vice chairs for each committee were announced in Senate as follows:

Academic Affairs: chair, Sarah Betancourt; vice chair, George Liu

Policy and Finance: chair, Ritika Malkani; vice chair, Sandeep Dhingra

University Affairs: chair, David Mejia; vice chair, Milind Khurana

Public Relations: chair, Emmy Savidge; vice chair, Revanth Boda

Notes:

Hug the Lake is this Friday at 12:05 p.m.

The new ECO Agency co-director is Jessica Deaver.

Jorge Chabo

University of Miami professors who study water treatment and civil engineering say that water contam ...

University of Miami experts in health geography, law, and public health weigh in on some of the issu ...

The Class of 2023 Stamps Scholars begin their first year at the University of Miami. ...

With 102 events already on their calendar, new initiatives are also on the horizon for the Universit ...

Economic expert Paulo Leme analyzes last week’s economic downturn. ...

Blake James details how Miami and Florida agreed to renew their rivalry with an upcoming home-and-ho ...

adidas x Miami announce continued collaboration with Parley for the Oceans ...

Hurricanes will travel to Gainesville in 2024, host Gators at Hard Rock Stadium in 2025 ...

Jeff Thomas is eager to get back on the field for the Hurricanes. ...

The story of Canes Hoops' 10-day journey in Italy told through the words and images of the play ...