Sports, Tennis

Miami women’s tennis beats Louisville, finishes season undefeated at home

Freshman Ana Madcur hits a forehand shot during the women’s tennis 6-1 win over Syracuse Friday afternoon at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center. Madcur had a 6-2, 6-1 win over Louisville’s Olivia Boesing to finish her regular season 14-3 in singles. The Hurricanes’ shutout the Cardinals 7-0. Shreya Chidarala // Staff Photographer

Freshman Ana Madcur hits a forehand shot during the women’s tennis 6-1 win over Syracuse Friday afternoon at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center. Madcur had a 6-2, 6-1 win over Louisville’s Olivia Boesing to finish her regular season 14-3 in singles. The Hurricanes shut out the Cardinals 7-0. Shreya Chidarala // Staff Photographer

Senior day was a success for the seventh-ranked women’s tennis team as it concluded the regular season with a 7-0 victory over Louisville on Sunday afternoon at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center.

The Canes (17-4, 12-2 ACC) dominated the Cardinals in both doubles and singles competition to win their 13th match in a row, but one could argue that the focus of the day was on seniors Stephanie Wagner and Clementina Riobueno. Both were recognized prior to the matches for all the success they have had on the team.

“A lot of people came out today, which is awesome,” Wagner said. “These four years here, probably the best of my life.”

Wagner was able to add to her already-terrific season by picking up singles win number 131, which ties her with current Assistant Coach Laura Vallverdu at second place on the program’s all-time singles wins list. The senior from Amberg, Germany is now just two victories shy of Bianca Eichkorn’s program record.

Wagner is currently ranked No. 6 in the country as a singles player after starting the season at No.9. She was a 2015 ITA All

American in singles. Wagner and sophomore Wendy Zhang also are the eighth-ranked doubles pair in the nation.

Riobueno sealed the victory for Miami against Louisville (8-17, 0-14 ACC) with 6-1, 6-4 match wins. After the contest, the senior from Barquisimeto, Venezuela was able to reflect a bit on her career at the U.

“It’s been a great ride,” Riobueno said about her four years at Miami. “I love competing next to my teammates; it’s the best feeling ever.”

Riobueno is tied for 10th place on Miami’s all-time doubles wins list with 90. She was a 2014 ITA All-American in doubles competition. Riobueno and Wagner are also No. 66 in the doubles rankings.

Head Coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews had plenty of good things to say about her seniors.

“These two girls have done such an incredible job over the course of four years and I couldn’t be prouder,” Yaroshuk-Tews said. “They’re just great people.”

Wagner and Riobueno had compliments for each other as well.

“We have been through so much those four years,” Wagner said about Riobueno. “She is always happy for the team and always supportive.”

“She’s such a great leader and competitor,” Riobueno said about Wagner.

Even with the jubilation of senior day and the Canes being able to finish the season undefeated at home, the biggest part of the year comes now. After a double bye, the team will head into the ACC Championship as a No. 2 seed to play their first match at Cary Tennis Park in Cary, North Carolina, on Friday at 10 a.m. The opponent is not yet known.

“We want to take it one match at a time,” Wagner said.

Isaiah Kim-Martinez

Isaiah Kim-Martinez can be reached on Twitter at @isaiah_km.

Boston College star Ky Bowman came down with a 102-degree fever on Saturday night. Jordan Chatman an ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Sunday: ▪ New UM defensive coordinator Blake Baker has asked UM ...

Emese Hof and No. 20 Miami think they can play with anyone, and it shows. Hof scored 18 of her 25 po ...

New University of Miami baseball head coach Gino DiMare wanted to start strong. He got perfection. T ...

Former University of Miami star running back Mark Walton was arrested late Friday on a charge of mis ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team stormed back from a 14-point deficit to pick up the bi ...

Brian Van Belle struck out five over six shutout innings to help the Canes sweep Rutgers on opening ...

The Hurricanes dropped a tight contest with the Eagles in Chestnut Hill, 64-57. ...

The sophomore first baseman slugged his second homer of the weekend to lead the Canes to a series wi ...

Junior Renate Grimstad led the way for Miami and is tied for 18th at one-over-par, while sophomore K ...