Sports, Tennis

Miami women’s tennis beats Louisville, finishes season undefeated at home

Freshman Ana Madcur hits a forehand shot during the women’s tennis 6-1 win over Syracuse Friday afternoon at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center. Madcur had a 6-2, 6-1 win over Louisville’s Olivia Boesing to finish her regular season 14-3 in singles. The Hurricanes’ shutout the Cardinals 7-0. Shreya Chidarala // Staff Photographer

Freshman Ana Madcur hits a forehand shot during the women’s tennis 6-1 win over Syracuse Friday afternoon at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center. Madcur had a 6-2, 6-1 win over Louisville’s Olivia Boesing to finish her regular season 14-3 in singles. The Hurricanes shut out the Cardinals 7-0. Shreya Chidarala // Staff Photographer

Senior day was a success for the seventh-ranked women’s tennis team as it concluded the regular season with a 7-0 victory over Louisville on Sunday afternoon at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center.

The Canes (17-4, 12-2 ACC) dominated the Cardinals in both doubles and singles competition to win their 13th match in a row, but one could argue that the focus of the day was on seniors Stephanie Wagner and Clementina Riobueno. Both were recognized prior to the matches for all the success they have had on the team.

“A lot of people came out today, which is awesome,” Wagner said. “These four years here, probably the best of my life.”

Wagner was able to add to her already-terrific season by picking up singles win number 131, which ties her with current Assistant Coach Laura Vallverdu at second place on the program’s all-time singles wins list. The senior from Amberg, Germany is now just two victories shy of Bianca Eichkorn’s program record.

Wagner is currently ranked No. 6 in the country as a singles player after starting the season at No.9. She was a 2015 ITA All

American in singles. Wagner and sophomore Wendy Zhang also are the eighth-ranked doubles pair in the nation.

Riobueno sealed the victory for Miami against Louisville (8-17, 0-14 ACC) with 6-1, 6-4 match wins. After the contest, the senior from Barquisimeto, Venezuela was able to reflect a bit on her career at the U.

“It’s been a great ride,” Riobueno said about her four years at Miami. “I love competing next to my teammates; it’s the best feeling ever.”

Riobueno is tied for 10th place on Miami’s all-time doubles wins list with 90. She was a 2014 ITA All-American in doubles competition. Riobueno and Wagner are also No. 66 in the doubles rankings.

Head Coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews had plenty of good things to say about her seniors.

“These two girls have done such an incredible job over the course of four years and I couldn’t be prouder,” Yaroshuk-Tews said. “They’re just great people.”

Wagner and Riobueno had compliments for each other as well.

“We have been through so much those four years,” Wagner said about Riobueno. “She is always happy for the team and always supportive.”

“She’s such a great leader and competitor,” Riobueno said about Wagner.

Even with the jubilation of senior day and the Canes being able to finish the season undefeated at home, the biggest part of the year comes now. After a double bye, the team will head into the ACC Championship as a No. 2 seed to play their first match at Cary Tennis Park in Cary, North Carolina, on Friday at 10 a.m. The opponent is not yet known.

“We want to take it one match at a time,” Wagner said.

Isaiah Kim-Martinez

Isaiah Kim-Martinez can be reached on Twitter at @isaiah_km.

Good day to everyone. The sun had just risen and those fax machines were already humming. The first ...

So what’s UM getting with this recruiting class, among players already committed, most or all of who ...

On the eve of the early signing period, the new University of Miami defensive coordinators met the m ...

The early signing period is finally here and the Miami Hurricanes’ class is, at least for now, disap ...

Photo Gallery: UM football availabiilty | Tuesday, December 18, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

Students in a School of Architecture design studio addressed some of Miami’s most intractable proble ...

Miami Law's Human Rights Clinic is intervening in a case focused on the issue of accountability ...

Feelings of depression and anxiety rise during the holidays, but there’s plenty you can do to keep u ...

The Foote Fellows Honors Program offers students added flexibility to pursue multiple academic inter ...

Commencement speakers share gems of insight and wisdom as more than 1,000 UM students graduate in tw ...

Things have changed in Coral Gables since the end of the regular season, but there will be a familia ...

Canes and Houston Baptist play at 7 p.m. Wednesday at Watsco Center. ...

The No. 24/23 Miami women's basketball team will begin play at the Florida Sunshine Classic in ...

Hurricanes Name Banda, Patke Co-Defensive Coordinators; Promote Simpson to Associate Head Coach ...

The Miami women's basketball team is ranked in the top 25 of both major national polls this wee ...