Sports, Tennis

Miami women’s tennis beats Louisville, finishes season undefeated at home

Freshman Ana Madcur hits a forehand shot during the women’s tennis 6-1 win over Syracuse Friday afternoon at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center. Madcur had a 6-2, 6-1 win over Louisville’s Olivia Boesing to finish her regular season 14-3 in singles. The Hurricanes’ shutout the Cardinals 7-0. Shreya Chidarala // Staff Photographer

Freshman Ana Madcur hits a forehand shot during the women’s tennis 6-1 win over Syracuse Friday afternoon at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center. Madcur had a 6-2, 6-1 win over Louisville’s Olivia Boesing to finish her regular season 14-3 in singles. The Hurricanes shut out the Cardinals 7-0. Shreya Chidarala // Staff Photographer

Senior day was a success for the seventh-ranked women’s tennis team as it concluded the regular season with a 7-0 victory over Louisville on Sunday afternoon at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center.

The Canes (17-4, 12-2 ACC) dominated the Cardinals in both doubles and singles competition to win their 13th match in a row, but one could argue that the focus of the day was on seniors Stephanie Wagner and Clementina Riobueno. Both were recognized prior to the matches for all the success they have had on the team.

“A lot of people came out today, which is awesome,” Wagner said. “These four years here, probably the best of my life.”

Wagner was able to add to her already-terrific season by picking up singles win number 131, which ties her with current Assistant Coach Laura Vallverdu at second place on the program’s all-time singles wins list. The senior from Amberg, Germany is now just two victories shy of Bianca Eichkorn’s program record.

Wagner is currently ranked No. 6 in the country as a singles player after starting the season at No.9. She was a 2015 ITA All

American in singles. Wagner and sophomore Wendy Zhang also are the eighth-ranked doubles pair in the nation.

Riobueno sealed the victory for Miami against Louisville (8-17, 0-14 ACC) with 6-1, 6-4 match wins. After the contest, the senior from Barquisimeto, Venezuela was able to reflect a bit on her career at the U.

“It’s been a great ride,” Riobueno said about her four years at Miami. “I love competing next to my teammates; it’s the best feeling ever.”

Riobueno is tied for 10th place on Miami’s all-time doubles wins list with 90. She was a 2014 ITA All-American in doubles competition. Riobueno and Wagner are also No. 66 in the doubles rankings.

Head Coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews had plenty of good things to say about her seniors.

“These two girls have done such an incredible job over the course of four years and I couldn’t be prouder,” Yaroshuk-Tews said. “They’re just great people.”

Wagner and Riobueno had compliments for each other as well.

“We have been through so much those four years,” Wagner said about Riobueno. “She is always happy for the team and always supportive.”

“She’s such a great leader and competitor,” Riobueno said about Wagner.

Even with the jubilation of senior day and the Canes being able to finish the season undefeated at home, the biggest part of the year comes now. After a double bye, the team will head into the ACC Championship as a No. 2 seed to play their first match at Cary Tennis Park in Cary, North Carolina, on Friday at 10 a.m. The opponent is not yet known.

“We want to take it one match at a time,” Wagner said.

Isaiah Kim-Martinez

Isaiah Kim-Martinez can be reached on Twitter at @isaiah_km.

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

Mark Richt is sticking with the veteran. The Miami Hurricanes coach announced during the weekly Atla ...

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

A grant from the German government will support a series of roundtable and networking sessions on U. ...

As BioNIUM’s new director, the chair of the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology plans t ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

For the second straight year, all of the Miami women's basketball teams will be televised and f ...

The University of Miami soccer team heads to the Tar Heel state for a pair of road matches beginning ...

Get to Know U is a series that introduces the newest members of the Miami Hurricanes track and field ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...