Baseball, Sports

Miami baseball takes weekend series against Duke with 9-0 shutout

After giving up 12 runs in Saturday’s contest, the Hurricanes’ pitching staff hoped for a better performance on Saturday, and they got it from lefty Danny Garcia, who led Miami to a 9-0 shutout against Duke in Durham on Sunday afternoon. The junior looked a little shaky at the start of the game when he allowed two runners to get on base after a hit, a walk and an error, but he recovered nicely to get out of the first inning unscathed.

From there, Garcia cruised the rest of the way en route to seven scoreless innings and his sixth win of the season. Relievers Frankie Bartow and Bryan Garcia then came in to pitch the eighth and ninth innings. Neither one gave the Blue Devils any hope, as they quickly retired the side in both innings.

After a slow first inning at the plate, Miami came out swinging in the second and was able to get runners in scoring position before sophomore outfielder Carl Chester drove in the game’s first run with an infield single. Junior slugger Zack Collins then came up and recorded his eighth home run of the season, with a monster three-run shot that put the Canes up 4-0. Miami got contributions from a multitude of players the rest of the way to finish the series on a high note both offensively and defensively.

Sunday was a good sign for the Canes, as they were able to show some resilience and get back to their winning ways after a disappointing performance on Saturday. They will face off against FAU at 6 p.m. on Wednesday night at Mark Light Field before another important conference series against Virginia at home next weekend.

Cody Brown

Instead of in-person celebrations at Hard Rock Stadium, President Julio Frenk announced that the University of Miami will hold its four observances online because of updated COVID-19 data. ...

The newly chartered Peruvian Students Association seeks to expand its impact and influence beyond campus, supporting protests against education cutbacks in the South American country and connecting students across the United States to their Andean roots. ...

Leyna Stemle found that by attaching green LED lights to fishing nets in Ghana, the illumination was able to divert most of the reptiles from becoming entangled and hurt. ...

As the world observes the 32nd annual World AIDS Day, a University of Miami team is shining a bright light on a neighborhood initiative to curtail the epidemic. ...

With the acquisition of the new instrument and an accompanying nanoindenter, studies at the College of Engineering are entering a new and advanced era of materials characterization. ...