Baseball, Sports

Miami baseball takes weekend series against Duke with 9-0 shutout

After giving up 12 runs in Saturday’s contest, the Hurricanes’ pitching staff hoped for a better performance on Saturday, and they got it from lefty Danny Garcia, who led Miami to a 9-0 shutout against Duke in Durham on Sunday afternoon. The junior looked a little shaky at the start of the game when he allowed two runners to get on base after a hit, a walk and an error, but he recovered nicely to get out of the first inning unscathed.

From there, Garcia cruised the rest of the way en route to seven scoreless innings and his sixth win of the season. Relievers Frankie Bartow and Bryan Garcia then came in to pitch the eighth and ninth innings. Neither one gave the Blue Devils any hope, as they quickly retired the side in both innings.

After a slow first inning at the plate, Miami came out swinging in the second and was able to get runners in scoring position before sophomore outfielder Carl Chester drove in the game’s first run with an infield single. Junior slugger Zack Collins then came up and recorded his eighth home run of the season, with a monster three-run shot that put the Canes up 4-0. Miami got contributions from a multitude of players the rest of the way to finish the series on a high note both offensively and defensively.

Sunday was a good sign for the Canes, as they were able to show some resilience and get back to their winning ways after a disappointing performance on Saturday. They will face off against FAU at 6 p.m. on Wednesday night at Mark Light Field before another important conference series against Virginia at home next weekend.

Cody Brown

The Miami Hurricanes may have found their future quarterback. Tate Martell, a former four-star recru ...

At 7:27 p.m Tuesday, University of Miami football coach Manny Diaz tweeted a GIF of a swirling Hurri ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ As Miami awaits decisions from its potential 2019 qua ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Monday night: ▪ FIU has decided that its Nov. 23 football game agains ...

Dewan Hernandez hit another NCAA roadblock on Monday, but the University of Miami forward will take ...

Gisela Vega, the former associate director of LGBTQA Initiatives at Florida International University ...

With new “personas” allowing for a more personalized mobile experience, the redesigned University of ...

Teams of scholars will use U-LINK grants to examine ways to reduce opportunity gaps and biases in mu ...

The film launches the 2019 film series for the UM Libraries Cuban Heritage Collection. ...

Here’s a go-to list of dates you should keep an eye on throughout the semester, along with some tidb ...

University of Miami head women's volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara announced Monda ...

The University of Miami football program has hired Dan Enos as its offensive coordinator and quarter ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Monday that it will host its fifth annual Celebration of Wom ...

After a weekend bye, the Miami women's basketball team resumes action Thursday evening at 7 p.m ...

Pictures from the No. 17 Miami women's tennis team's season-opening action in the Miami Sp ...