Baseball, Sports

Miami baseball takes weekend series against Duke with 9-0 shutout

After giving up 12 runs in Saturday’s contest, the Hurricanes’ pitching staff hoped for a better performance on Saturday, and they got it from lefty Danny Garcia, who led Miami to a 9-0 shutout against Duke in Durham on Sunday afternoon. The junior looked a little shaky at the start of the game when he allowed two runners to get on base after a hit, a walk and an error, but he recovered nicely to get out of the first inning unscathed.

From there, Garcia cruised the rest of the way en route to seven scoreless innings and his sixth win of the season. Relievers Frankie Bartow and Bryan Garcia then came in to pitch the eighth and ninth innings. Neither one gave the Blue Devils any hope, as they quickly retired the side in both innings.

After a slow first inning at the plate, Miami came out swinging in the second and was able to get runners in scoring position before sophomore outfielder Carl Chester drove in the game’s first run with an infield single. Junior slugger Zack Collins then came up and recorded his eighth home run of the season, with a monster three-run shot that put the Canes up 4-0. Miami got contributions from a multitude of players the rest of the way to finish the series on a high note both offensively and defensively.

Sunday was a good sign for the Canes, as they were able to show some resilience and get back to their winning ways after a disappointing performance on Saturday. They will face off against FAU at 6 p.m. on Wednesday night at Mark Light Field before another important conference series against Virginia at home next weekend.

Cody Brown

The University of Miami student publications were recognized with multiple awards by the Society for

Hoping to ease hurdles for students to apply to master’s and doctoral programs, a new policy will re

Immunologist Natasa Strbo and her team are using their work on vaccines for HIV, malaria, and Zika t

Xavier Cortada leads the Miami Corona Project, an art program presented as part of the University of

University of Miami Libraries has launched Documenting COVID-19: South Florida’s Pandemic Experience