Edge, Movies

Marvel’s ‘Captain America: Civil War’ divides Avengers into teams

Marvel hopes to see a second major blockbuster in 2016 after “Deadpool” with its highly anticipated May release of “Captain America: Civil War.” In a media conference call, The Miami Hurricane had a chance to hear from Emily VanCamp, who plays Agent 13 in the film.

Directed by the Russo brothers, Anthony and Joseph Russo, the action-adventure film splits the classic Avengers team into two factions: one led by Captain America, played by Chris Evans, and one led by Iron Man, played by Robert Downey Jr. In the film, the two teams work to combat a new villain threatening the world.

Like many Marvel fans, VanCamp can’t wait for the release. She promises that fans of The Avengers will enjoy the film.

“It does really feel like The Avengers; everybody is in it, pretty much … [but Civil War is more] focused on the relationships, and what they [the characters] represent,” said VanCamp.

“Civil War” boasts a cast consisting of Chris Evans (Captain America), Robert Downey, Jr. (Iron Man), Scarlett Johansson (Black Widow), Don Cheadle (War Machine) and Chadwick Boseman (Black Panther), among others. The star-studded film has earned a 9.6 out of 10 on IMDb.

VanCamp said she did a lot of research before taking on her role as Sharon Carter, also known as Agent 13. Her findings were primarily from a compilation of all the different instances in which her character appears in different comic books.

“I just sat with it and went to town. I really fell in love with Sharon,” VanCamp said. “It’s fun to take elements of all the different stories and really piece together a character that hopefully the fans enjoy.”

As for the strong female character she plays, VanCamp embraces the role and said she thinks it has a positive impact.

“These characters are so much fun to play, but to know that it … is empowering young girls is amazing,” VanCamp said. “I think Marvel’s really trying to diversify; they’re really incorporating more women in these great parts, and I think it’s heading in the right direction.”

“Captain America: Civil War” hits theaters on May 6.

David Ufberg

Lucha Latina celebrates Hispanic Heritage Month by highlighting Central American culture. ...

The Frost School of Music’s Valerie Coleman, who heads to Carnegie Hall tonight with the Philadelphi ...

Engineering students at the University of Miami combine inventive materials with a new construction ...

Women’s soccer World Cup champion Megan Rapinoe urged University of Miami students to fight for equa ...

Engineering and business professors met with officials from the City of North Bay Village and Miami- ...

Keith Stone had a bevy of options to pick from when deciding where to spend his final year as a coll ...

University of Miami junior cornerback Trajan Bandy was named ACC Defensive Back of the Week after a ...

Shannon McCarthy and BIIK Kazygurt are set to face off against FC Bayern Munich in the UEFA Champion ...

The Hurricanes got a much-needed conference win Friday night over Virginia. Now Miami looks to build ...

Kristina Fisher registers her 17th career assist to move into second on the program's all-time ...