Baseball, Sports

Hurricanes baseball ranked No. 1 in the country for first time since 2008

The Hurricanes are back on top. For the first time since June 2008, Baseball America ranked Miami No. 1 in its new poll Monday morning. Baseball America isn’t alone having Miami on top of the college baseball world. D1Baseball, Perfect Game and NCAA Baseball all have the Hurricanes as the No. 1 team in the country.

The Canes (25-4, 11-2) were previously in the top three of all those polls but moved to first Monday morning after No. 1 Florida lost a home series over the weekend to Mississippi State, another top-three team. Miami has won nine straight and 20 of its last 22 games overall.

Miami is coming off a 10-2 win at Notre Dame in the only game of a series that saw the first two matchups cancelled due to snow. The Hurricanes are 20-3 at home this season with the only losses coming against Florida (twice) and then-No. 4 Louisville. Miami’s only loss on the road was to Virginia Tech exactly a month ago. The Canes have won every series this year except for the second one of the season against the Gators back in February.

The Canes next play Nova Southeastern on Tuesday followed by Central Florida on Wednesday, with both games starting at 6 p.m. at Mark Light Field.

Mark Singer

Tufaan, the University of Miami’s South Asian a cappella group, needs the community’s help to advanc

Dr. Brandon Chatani, a Miller School of Medicine infectious disease specialist, offers advice on way

With the federal Endangered Species Act in danger, University of Miami researchers find that state p

An online exhibit spotlights the talents of two University of Miami incoming Master of Fine Arts gra

Casey Klofstad, political science professor, explains why and how voters should pay attention to pol