Campus Life, Environment, News

News Briefs 4/11: Miss UM, Earth Week

New Miss UM

Chinonyelum “Chi-Chi” Maduka stepped down from her role as Miss University of Miami on Friday due to her involvement with a research initiative in Australia that will keep her from participating in the Miss Florida pageant this summer. Freshman Kyra Freeman, the runner-up, took over the role.

Freeman will be formally crowned during a ceremony on Monday at 5:30 p.m. on the Rock, with Miss University of Miami 2015, Ashlhea Louis. Freeman’s platform is titled “Uplifting your Youth through Literacy and Confidence.” She is studying public health with a minor in health communications, according to the press release.

Earth Week

The Rock will feature Earth Week events every day this week from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. to promote awareness for environmental issues with activities, giveaways and presentations. Each day has a different theme, including an art theme and food theme. The week also includes the Sea-Level Rise Conference Monday at 7 p.m. and Arbor Day Celebration Wednesday at 6 p.m. Sea-Level Rise and its impacts on coastal policy in South East Florida will be held in the StormSurge room of the Whitten University Center. The conference will feature experts from government, non-profit organizations and the Rosenstiel School of Atmospheric Science at UM.

Visit www.miami.edu/greenu for more information on Earth Week.

William Riggin

An online seminar sponsored by the University of Miami Institute for Advanced Study of the Americas

The first presidential debate between President Donald J. Trump and former vice president and democr

As the Miami Hurricanes take on Florida State, University of Miami students are invited to a Friday-

Linguist Caleb Everett reminds us that the mind has yet to grasp the modern world’s explosion of mas