Baseball, Sports

Miami Hurricanes baseball beats Notre Dame in snowy 1-game series

Members of the men’s baseball team play in the snowfall in Notre Dame Saturday. Two of the baseball games were cancelled due to the inclement weather. Photo courtesy Camron Ghorb

Members of the men’s baseball team play in the snowfall at Notre Dame on Saturday. Two of the baseball games were cancelled due to the inclement weather. Photo courtesy Miami Athletics

The No. 2 Hurricanes easily defeated the Notre Dame Fighting Irish 10-2 Sunday afternoon in a one-game series. The series was originally slated to be three games, but the snow in South Bend said otherwise.

Weather continued to be a concern throughout the game. There were winds of 17 mph and heavy rain with temperatures in the 30s.

Left-handed sophomore Michael Mediavilla led the Canes to their ninth-consecutive victory, only giving up one run on four hits in six innings.

The Canes’ offense gave Mediavilla plenty of breathing room nonetheless. Sophomore leadoff batter Carl Chester reached base five times and junior catcher Zack Collins recorded five RBI.

Notre Dame (16-12, 6-7) opened the game with Peter Solomon at the mound. Miami batters had success against him in the first, as Chester dropped a shot into right field for a single to open the game. This was followed by a Christopher Barr bunt, which was mishandled by the Irish catcher to allow Chester to cross the plate.

The Irish tied it in the second on a solo home run by Miami native Ricky Sanchez, his first of the season.

The rain intensified in the third inning, but the Canes were still able to retake the lead. With two runners in scoring position, Collins whacked a two-run double off the wall in right-center. Collins scored on an RBI single by senior shortstop Brandon Lopez to make it 4-1.

The game remained stagnant until the sixth inning, when a three-run homer from Collins extended Miami’s lead to 7-1.

Freshman righty Andrew Cabezas filled in for Mediavilla coming out of the seventh inning stretch. Cabezas gave up a run on two hits and a walk to go with just one out. Fellow right-handed freshman Frankie Bartow came in for Cabezas and recorded the last two outs in the seventh as well as a scoreless bottom of the eighth.

Both offenses were quiet until the ninth inning, when the Canes (25-4, 11-2) were able to add another three runs to their lead. With the bases loaded, redshirt junior third baseman Edgar Michelangeli dropped a bases-clearing double into deep left field. Right-handed freshman Isaiah Musa finished off the Irish with a clean ninth inning.

The Canes next play Nova Southeastern at 6 p.m. on Tuesday at Mark Light Field.

Tej Joshi

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

George Stewart had a big problem, and little time to solve it. It was Week 6 of the 2018 season, and ...

One of the interesting subplots of this Hurricanes season will be watching the evolution of a bunch ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ Coach Manny Diaz said the quarterback race among Ta ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami Libraries offer readers multiple ways to access the books, which are popular ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Martin Grosell weighs in on how marine life in the Gulf could be affect ...

Varona, an attorney and educator who specializes in administrative law, communications and media law ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...

Courtney spent nine years previously on Jim Larranaga's staff from 1996-2005. ...

The University of Miami track and field program received 17 All-America honors at the conclusion of ...