Garzón Restaurant offers variety of decadent dishes

One of Garzon's most popular options, the Parilladito, pairs chorizo, blood sausage, and skirt steak with empanadas and bleu cheese truffle fries. Haley Walker // Contributing Photographer

One of Garzon’s most popular options, the Parilladito, pairs chorizo, blood sausage, and skirt steak with empanadas and bleu cheese truffle fries. Haley Walker // Contributing Photographer

Garzon Restaurant – 4/5

Located in Miami’s Brickell area, this Mediterranean crudo bar and grill offers rustic decor and savory tapas. While the dishes range from mediocre to spectacular, the quiet ambiance and attentive service are hard to come by in such a busy metropolitan area. Like an upscale Buns & Buns or a Spanish Swine, this restaurant has offered the atmosphere of an up-and-coming gastropub with traditional dishes since its November opening.

Chorizo Croquettes with Guava Sauce – 5/5

The presentation of this dish is artful but sparse: just six croquettes and a sauce bowl. On their own, the bite-sized croquettes are crisp and rich. Fatty and salty flavors dominate, but there are subtle spices in the chorizo. The dollop of aioli on top adds the right amount of moisture to eat them without additional condiments. When dipped in the guava sauce, however, they become the perfect bite: sweet and unctuous. This dish surpasses the rest, in both flavor and innovation.

Burrata – 3/5

This dish arrived neatly garnished and placed. The mozzarella in this burrata was thick and creamy, but the crostini crackers and tomatoes were leaning toward bland. The peas and asparagus added little but visual appeal to the dish. It was well-seasoned, however, with salt, pepper and olive oil. Overall, this was a decent but uninteresting pick.

Tuna Tartar – 4/5

At first glance, the tuna in this dish seems a bit dull, but the presentation is otherwise colorful and appetizing. The first bite is rich and salty, a mixture of the avocado, olive oil and caviar on top. A few more bites reveals hints of cilantro and aioli, as well as multicolored tomatoes. If the tuna were higher quality, this dish would be a five out of five for flavor and presentation.

Parilladito – 4/5

This dish is a collection of Garzón’s iconic offerings: two different empanadas, chorizo and blood sausage, truffle fries with bleu cheese, and skirt steak. It isn’t the most colorful dish, but what it lacks in chromatics, it makes up for in taste. The empanadas are savory and salty, especially the one filled with sharp cheese and onion. Both varieties of sausage are moist and well-spiced. The fries, like the croquettes, are perfectly crisp and topped with not-too-tangy bleu. The skirt steak is, unfortunately, the disappointment of the plate. While it has a rich, charred flavor, the texture is a bit gummy. Overall, this is an excellent way to sample the restaurant’s dishes and fill up on decadent food.

Garzon Restaurant is located at 901 Brickell Plaza.

Haley Walker

University of Miami athletic director Blake James has no intention of pressuring or forcing coach Ma ...

He’s certainly not a veteran, but for the first time in his college football career, redshirt freshm ...

This November feels a lot more like March for the 24th-ranked University of Miami women’s basketball ...

For a month at a time, Louis Hedley would find himself in the deserts of Australia. His chances at m ...

It has been a trying season for college football fans of two Sunshine State programs: Florida State ...

UM Professor of Law Frances R. Hill tells us what we should know. ...

An international study led by University of Miami tropical biologists reveals that tropical trees ar ...

UM’s robotics team recently obtained a new robot with the goal of helping aging individuals. ...

New student organization’s mission is a movement to return to the ‘roots’ of natural hair. ...

A University of Miami professor discusses the dynamics of this trend. ...

N'Kosi Perry wants to build off his showing at Georgia Tech with another strong performance thi ...

University of Miami head volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara is excited to announce the s ...

Isaiah Wong and Anthony Walker will join Canes for 2019-20 season. ...

Three University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes – Adria Soriano Barrera, Bojan Jankulov ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team checks in at seventh in the country in ...