Administration, Campus Life, News

President Julio Frenk establishes April 8 as Founder’s Day

April 8 will now be known as Founder’s Day at the University of Miami, memorializing the date the school was founded in 1925.

President Julio Frenk announced the new tradition on Friday, the school’s 91st anniversary of being founded. In the letter emailed to students and faculty, Dr. Frenk said the original charter serves as the mark of the beginning of the school’s journey to its centennial in nine years. Since taking over, he has said he would like to transform the school by 2025.

He wrote that his eight initiatives – including 100 new talents for 100 years, problem-based interdisciplinary collaboration, hemispheric connections and innovation, development of a culture of belonging and a university-wide platform for educational investment in basic and applied science and engineering – would all help the university reach its transformative goal.

“Together with a concurrent ninth initiative to transform the academic health system, we are well on the way to ensuring that we are the Hemispheric, Excellent, Relevant, and Exemplary University by 2025,” Dr. Frenk wrote in the letter.

He also wrote that the charter serves as a reminder of how far the university has come in terms of diversity, and how far it still has to go in order to be more inclusive.

“Issues of diversity, inclusion, and respect have been much on my mind. I am very proud of the diversity of our campuses today, and the charter is a reminder of how far we have come: all of the signing founders were white and only two were women, including Bertha M. Foster, founding dean of the Frost School of Music.”

In closing, Frenk directed readers to his remarks from last weekend at Yale University, where he was given the Bouchet Leadership Award, named after the first African American to earn a Ph.D in the United States.

The national award was established at Yale in 2002 and is given to leaders who have made strides in diversifying higher education, are outstanding in their fields and are exemplary to those they lead.

William Riggin

If redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is starting Thursday night for the No. 16 Miami Hurricanes against ...

It sure sounds like redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is going to get his first career start at 8 Thurs ...

If he hasn’t made it already, Miami Hurricanes coach Mark Richt has a defining decision to ponder in ...

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

Theatre arts students open the Ring Theatre’s 2018-19 season with a tribute to the creative genius w ...

UM representatives earned Novice and Junior Varsity categories at the National Opener, one of the mo ...

The Office of Civic and Community Engagement receives a $300,000 investment from JPMorgan Chase to t ...

The Miami Hurricanes were one of the biggest risers in both major polls released Sunday, jumping to ...

Miami junior Estela Perez-Somarriba's 6-4, 6-3 victory over Evgeniya Levashova will be re-broad ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned one of the most prestigious coll ...

The University of Miami volleyball program defeated Duke, 3-1, winning its fourth straight match and ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...