Campus Life, News, Senate Recap, Student Government

Senate Recap: Speaker discusses religious Senate seats, positions ratified

Discussion about Religious Organizations in Senate

During his last day, Speaker of the Senate Jeff Sznapstajler brought up the discussion of religious seats in Senate, a conversation that started when both MSUM and Hillel presented bills for positions of their own in Student Government Senate.

The consensus among the senators was that a round table should be set up with the heads of all of the religious organizations. Then, either the speaker of the Senate or someone else would be assigned to specifically voice the concerns of the leaders to the Senate during meetings.

Sznapstajler believed that it would be a “good use of the speaker’s time to meet with the heads of all these organizations.”

Although the discussion was about religious organizations, Senator Candice Johnson brought up the issue of how students perceive Senate. Allie Hussey, chief justice of the student Supreme Court, reminded senators that their role is to represent their constituents.

“The senators should consider the needs of all their constituents, which may include students with religious needs. Whether it may be a Jewish student in the School of Business or a Muslim student who is a freshman, those students do have a senator to voice their concerns to,” Hussey said.

Aaron Gluck, parliamentarian to Senate, said having senators be more involved with their constituencies would allow them to speak for the students of a bill. Gluck said it would alleviate the frustration he witnessed when the students who presented the religious seat bills then had to wait outside the Senate Room during the deliberation process.

Positions Ratified

• The end of the semester brings new appointments to executive positions on Elections Commission, Category 5 and the Supreme Court.
  • For the Elections Commission, the new chairperson is Claudia Nunes and the new vice chairperson is Vishal Lakshmanan.
  • Category 5 elected Kierin Mukerjee as the new chairperson and Adam Schmidt as the new vice chairperson.

Finally, Devin Fitzgerald was selected as the new Supreme Court chief justice.

Jorge Chabo

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

George Stewart had a big problem, and little time to solve it. It was Week 6 of the 2018 season, and ...

One of the interesting subplots of this Hurricanes season will be watching the evolution of a bunch ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ Coach Manny Diaz said the quarterback race among Ta ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami Libraries offer readers multiple ways to access the books, which are popular ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Martin Grosell weighs in on how marine life in the Gulf could be affect ...

Varona, an attorney and educator who specializes in administrative law, communications and media law ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...

Courtney spent nine years previously on Jim Larranaga's staff from 1996-2005. ...

The University of Miami track and field program received 17 All-America honors at the conclusion of ...