Baseball, Sports

Hurricanes baseball to take on Fighting Irish

Sophomore right-hander Jesse Lepore (55) pitches during the men’s baseball win over Bethune-Cookman in March at Alex Rodriguez Park at Mark Light Field. Lepore pitched seven shut-out innings in the Hurricane’s win over FGCU Tuesday night in Fort Meyers. Victoria McKaba // Assistant Photo Editor’

Sophomore right-hander Jesse Lepore (55) pitches during the men’s baseball win over Bethune-Cookman in March at Alex Rodriguez Park at Mark Light Field. Lepore pitched seven shut out innings in the Hurricanes’ win over FGCU Tuesday night in Fort Meyers. Victoria McKaba // Assistant Photo Editor

This weekend, the No. 2 Hurricanes head north to South Bend, Indiana, where temperatures are expected to dip all the way to 22 degrees. They are to take on the Notre Dame Fighting Irish. Miami is riding an eight-game winning streak, which includes sweeps of ACC rivals Clemson and North Carolina. The Canes (24-4, 10-2) will look to continue their run as their sights on a return to Omaha sharpen.

Miami’s most recent win came Tuesday night against Florida Gulf Coast University. The Canes coasted to a 4-0 victory, led by the pitching staff, which only gave up three hits throughout the contest. For Miami to continue its success this weekend, the Canes’ pitchers will have to keep dominating opposing pitchers.

The Irish (16-11, 6-6) are coming off a big win as they downed No. 17 Michigan Tuesday night. The Irish recorded 14 hits on the evening against Michigan, which allows an NCAA-best 6.13 hits per nine innings. The Irish were not only hot against Michigan, but they have been for the past two weeks, as they have won eight of their last nine games after starting the season 8-10.

Notre Dame’s batting success can be attributed to Jake Shepski. He earned a spot in the starting lineup eight games ago and has since hit five home runs. The Canes will also have to watch for Zak Kutsulis, who leads the Irish with 37 hits, and slugger Cavan Biggio, who has a .505 slugging percentage and has drawn 35 walks this season.

For the Canes, the play of their pitchers will be key to combat Notre Dame’s recent success on offense. Left-handed starters Thomas Woodrey and Michael Mediavilla went at least seven innings while only giving up three runs in their starts against North Carolina last weekend. Fellow lefty Danny Garcia had a rocky start to his game, but Miami’s youthful bullpen silenced UNC’s lineup.

Miami Head Coach Jim Morris has often called upon three freshmen relievers when it’s time to take the starter out of the game. True freshmen Andrew Cabezas and Frankie Bartow have been Morris’s go-to middle relievers all year, while redshirt freshman Keven Pimentel has recently seen more playing time. If they can hold a lead until the ninth inning, Miami has star closer Bryan Garcia to finish the game. Garcia leads the ACC with nine saves this year and is tied for third in career saves at Miami.

Notre Dame also has elite pitching on its roster. Starting pitcher Michael Hearne is 3-0 and the Irish are 6-0 in games he’s started. Hearne allowed only three hits in seven innings his last time out.

Miami is accustomed to tough pitching at this point in the season, having already faced five pitchers that are among Baseball America’s Top 100 prospects. Junior catcher Zack Collins leads the ACC with a .582 on-base percentage and boasts an impressive .675 slugging percentage. Sophomore center fielder Carl Chester has been on a tear recently and is in the top 15 of the ACC with a .377 batting average.

The Canes next play Notre Dame at 6:05 p.m. on Friday in South Bend, Indiana.

Tej Joshi

It wasn’t long ago when the Miami Hurricanes’ Class of 2020 included the top three rising senior pro ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference Baseball Championship schedule is set. The No. 4 seed Miami Hurricanes ...

The first regular season of Gino DiMare’s head-coaching era ended Saturday at Mark Light Field. But ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ hopes for hosting an NCAA regional were damaged a bit on Friday night by a 12- ...

It took a long time for Dewan Hernandez to reach a point of acceptance for what happened to his juni ...

Imagine simulating diabetes, lung cancer, or heart disease on a device no larger than a credit card. ...

Alabama’s new abortion law puts the issue of women’s rights in the spotlight for the upcoming 2020 e ...

The University of Miami is shaping the future of education by using innovative approaches that drive ...

Six short films created by University of Miami film students will be screened in Los Angeles this we ...

Researchers from 16 Latin American and Caribbean countries, hosted by the Institute for the Advanced ...

Four Miami Hurricanes were among those recognized by the Atlantic Coast Conference Monday for their ...

The University of Miami track and field program garnered 20 entries in the 2019 NCAA East Preliminar ...

Miami's schedule features seven matches against teams that reached the NCAA Championship. ...

The Canes head to the ACC Baseball Championship ranked in the top 20 in every major poll. ...

Beatrice Mompremier of the Miami women's basketball team will once again represent her country ...