Baseball, Sports

Hurricanes baseball keeps rolling with 4-0 shutout against Florida Gulf Coast

The No. 2 Hurricanes made the short trip to Fort Myers to take on Florida Gulf Coast on Tuesday night. The Canes already beat FGCU (13-16) once earlier this season in Miami, 6-2, and they took this matchup versus the Eagles in a 4-0 shutout.

Sophomore right-handed pitcher Jesse Lepore pitched seven shutout innings in one of his best outings of his young career. He made quick work of the Eagles lineup, facing only 25 batters and allowing only two hits and one walk. He tallied seven strikeouts and retired 10 straight batters at the beginning of the game.

After seven stellar innings, Lepore handed things over to relievers Frankie Bartow and Bryan Garcia, who allowed only one hit combined in the last two innings.

The Canes (24-4) needed every bit of the pitching they got tonight, as the game was scoreless on both sides up until the top of the sixth inning when the heart of the Miami’s lineup came through. Cather Zack Collins and outfielder Jacob Heyward got on base to lead off the inning. Then, hits from second baseman Johnny Ruiz, shortstop Brandon Lopez and third baseman Edgar Michelangeli put the Canes up 3-0 heading to the seventh. Lopez used a sacrifice bunt in the seventh inning to give the Canes a 4-0, which the team held for the remainder of the contest.

Miami will return to ACC play over the weekend, as the team travels to South Bend to take on Notre Dame in a three-game series starting on Friday. The Canes will look to carry their hot pitching into this contest in the hopes of remaining at the top of the ACC standings once the weekend comes to a close.

Cody Brown

The United States Postal Service features Emilio Sanchez, the first Cuban American visual artist to be recognized in a new series of Forever stamps. ...

With the first elevated concrete floor deck poured last week, the Frost Institute of Chemistry and Molecular Science is on pace to open in the summer of 2022. ...

In a new study that scrutinized the speech patterns of Freddie Mercury, Michael Phelps, and other celebrities, University of Miami researchers offer insights on how diet ultimately reshapes language. ...

The multidisciplinary forum in April will explore lessons learned from the regions. There is a call for papers to be presented, but abstracts must be submitted by Jan. 17. ...

Former executive vice president John L. Green Jr., who helped launch the University’s football dynasty with two key coaching hires, passed away this month. ...