Campus Life, Finance, News

Sold-out ‘Master Your Money’ event kicks off Week of Well-Being

Fidelity Investments instructed students and faculty on how to make the most out of their their money Monday, as part of the fourth annual Week of Well-Being (WOW).

A sold-out event hosted by Fidelity Investments, “Master Your Money” allowed students and young investors to learn the supposed secrets of personal finance. According to Fidelity, these secrets are the five personal finance lessons one needs to master before the age of 40. The speaker, Kelly Lannan, listed these lessons: budget, credit, debt, invest and retire. If they are managed correctly, they could lead to a better financial future, Lannan said. Assistant Vice President for Student Affairs Gilberto Arias was happy with the event, which began the week.

“Wow, this event is sold out and the week has just begun,” Arias said. “We hope faculty and students can all benefit from these personal finance tips.”

Lannan went through the five finance lessons for students to learn, providing anecdotal examples and answering questions along the way. Although these are all key to financial stability and prosperity, she said the most important one was “credit.”

After Richard Combs, an assistant director at the Toppel Career Center, asked a question on credit, the rest of the crowd followed. All these questions showcased the complexity and importance of credit that Lannan stressed.

“Your credit health can affect your financial options in the future. It could really do harm if not managed correctly,” Lannan said.

She showed how companies measure credit scores. According to Fidelity, payment history and credit utilization make up more than half of the credit score, while the rest comes from length of history, credit mix and new credit.

The rest of the lessons were covered in detail throughout. Budget serves as the foundation of a student’s financial plan, she said, while credit ensures future decisions; debt allows one to take on risks; investment serves as a way to increase capital, and retirement determines the endgame of finances.

According to UM’s newsletter e-Veritas, WOW is “aimed at transforming the way faculty, staff, and students think about their overall wellness.” Arias said they want to keep “Master Your Money” as part of the week for years to come.

Feature image courtesy Pixabay user Olichel.

Jorge Chabo

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ secondary continues to get stronger. Miami, which already holds a pair of comm ...

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

A fabulous team of staff and volunteers labors long and hard, primed with school spirit, behind the ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

The global exploration, media, and education company will kick off a national campaign at UM to offe ...

University of Miami head coach Gino DiMare released the Hurricanes' 2019 baseball schedule Thur ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will take part in the ITA Southeast Regional Champion ...

The University of Miami women's swimming & diving team returns to competition this weekend, ...

The University of Miami volleyball team is set to host Clemson and Georgia Tech in the first of four ...

Four members of the Miami women's tennis team will take part in the ITA Southeast Regional Cham ...