News Briefs 4/4: Student media editors-in-chief, CGIU, Irish debaters

New editors-in-chief at three student media publications

The editors-in-chief of The Miami Hurricane, Distraction Magazine and Ibis Yearbook for the 2016-17 academic year have been announced. Candidates made presentations in front of the Board of Publications during the semester and the board then voted.

Asmae Fahmy will replace Rori Kotch as the editor-in-chief of Distraction Magazine. Fahmy will be a senior and is a journalism and psychology double major. She has worked for Distraction as loop editor and managing editor. She was born and reared in Miami.

Kaitlin Castillo will replace Emily Eidelman as the editor-in-chief of Ibis Yearbook. Castillo is a freshman majoring in marketing and minoring in advertising. She was academics co-editor during the 2015-16 academic year. She has lived in Miami her whole life.

Julie Harans will replace Nick Gangemi as editor-in-chief of The Miami Hurricane in her senior year. She has held positions at The Hurricane as copy editor, copy chief and managing editor. She is a journalism major and media management minor, originally from Baltimore, Maryland.

Clinton Global Initiative University 

UM students Grace Jean, Layla Nassar and Rowanne Ali were named 2016 Clinton Global Initiative University Resolution Winners for their Commitment to Action, Women in Next Generation Sciences (WINGS). More than 1,000 students converged at the University of California, Berkeley from April 1-3 for the event. Students presented their Commitments to Action based on the event’s five focus areas: education, environment and climate change, peace and human rights, poverty alleviation and public health.

UM to host Irish debaters

The University of Miami Debate Team will host the Irish Collegiate Debate Champions to debate the motion that “the political success of Donald J. Trump in the Republican primaries is a reflection of the demise of American democracy” on Monday. The debate will take place at 6 p.m. in the Activities Room South of the Shalala Student Center.

Isabella Cueto

Isabella Cueto can be reached via email at editor@themiamihurricane.com and through Twitter at @isabellacueto

Instead of in-person celebrations at Hard Rock Stadium, President Julio Frenk announced that the University of Miami will hold its four observances online because of updated COVID-19 data. ...

The newly chartered Peruvian Students Association seeks to expand its impact and influence beyond campus, supporting protests against education cutbacks in the South American country and connecting students across the United States to their Andean roots. ...

Leyna Stemle found that by attaching green LED lights to fishing nets in Ghana, the illumination was able to divert most of the reptiles from becoming entangled and hurt. ...

As the world observes the 32nd annual World AIDS Day, a University of Miami team is shining a bright light on a neighborhood initiative to curtail the epidemic. ...

With the acquisition of the new instrument and an accompanying nanoindenter, studies at the College of Engineering are entering a new and advanced era of materials characterization. ...