Sports, Tennis

Miami women’s tennis beats Clemson, men’s tennis falls to Georgia Tech, Clemson

Sophomore Wendy Zhang hits a forehand shot during the Cane’s 4-2 win over Ohio State in March. Zhang had her first career win over a top-25 opponent on Saturday against Clemson. Giancarlo Falconi // Staff Photographer

Sophomore Wendy Zhang hits a forehand shot during the Canes’ 4-2 win over Ohio State in March. Zhang had her first career win over a top-25 opponent on Saturday against Clemson. Giancarlo Falconi // Staff Photographer

The No. 7 Hurricanes women’s tennis team continued its dominant spring with a 7-0 sweep against No. 29 Clemson on Saturday. After a flawless month of March, the Canes are now riding a nine-match winning streak.

Miami battled through difficult weather conditions in South Carolina as wind gusts reached more than 30 miles per hour. “We had to embrace the environment today,” Miami Head Coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews said to HurricaneSports.com.

The Canes (13-4, 8-2) clinched the match with No. 6 sophomore Sinead Lohan’s victory in straight sets. Sophomore Wendy Zhang recorded her first career win against a top-25 opponent, beating No. 20 Joana Eidukonyte in two sets.

“Wendy played a complete match today,” Yaroshuk-Tews said to HurricaneSports.com. “When she does that, she’s capable of good things.”

The men’s tennis team, on the other hand, would like a redo to its spring schedule. The Hurricanes have lost four consecutive matches after falling to Georgia Tech and Clemson over the weekend, dropping their record since the beginning of March to 3-8.

The Canes’ loss to Clemson on Sunday was the closer of the two affairs as they were defeated 4-3. The match started with the Canes (7-11, 2-6) trailing early when they lost the doubles point. Miami came back from a 3-1 deficit to tie Clemson with one singles match remaining, but freshman Fermin Calvo lost in straight sets to Clemson’s Austin Ansari.

The Canes did not fare any better when they faced Georgia Tech on Friday, losing 5-2 to the Yellow Jackets.

The Canes lost the doubles point and continued to struggle in singles play, as only Calvo and junior Jesse Flores came away with wins.

The men’s team next plays North Carolina State at 2:30 p.m. on Friday in Coral Gables, while the women’s team travels to North Carolina to play Wake Forest at 4 p.m. also on Friday.

Friday.

Tej Joshi

Keontra Smith waited a long time for the Miami Hurricnaes to finally offer him. The defensive back g ...

University of Miami true freshman running back Cam’ron Davis, known as Cam for short, is about to lo ...

It’s impossible for the Miami Hurricanes to ignore all the negative feedback which comes along with ...

The Pittsburgh Panthers’ win against the Virginia Tech Hokies was, for all intents and purposes, alr ...

University of Miami athletic director Blake James has no intention of pressuring or forcing coach Ma ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

UM Professor of Law Frances R. Hill tells us what we should know. ...

The Canes top the Golden Eagles to move onto the WNIT Championship game. ...

The Canes know the importance a win over Virginia Tech on Saturday can have heading into the final w ...

The University of Miami women's golf team announced Thursday that international amateur standou ...

N'Kosi Perry wants to build off his showing at Georgia Tech with another strong performance thi ...

Tournament runs Nov. 21-24, 2019, in Charleston, S.C. ...