Sports, Tennis

Miami women’s tennis beats Clemson, men’s tennis falls to Georgia Tech, Clemson

Sophomore Wendy Zhang hits a forehand shot during the Cane’s 4-2 win over Ohio State in March. Zhang had her first career win over a top-25 opponent on Saturday against Clemson. Giancarlo Falconi // Staff Photographer

Sophomore Wendy Zhang hits a forehand shot during the Canes’ 4-2 win over Ohio State in March. Zhang had her first career win over a top-25 opponent on Saturday against Clemson. Giancarlo Falconi // Staff Photographer

The No. 7 Hurricanes women’s tennis team continued its dominant spring with a 7-0 sweep against No. 29 Clemson on Saturday. After a flawless month of March, the Canes are now riding a nine-match winning streak.

Miami battled through difficult weather conditions in South Carolina as wind gusts reached more than 30 miles per hour. “We had to embrace the environment today,” Miami Head Coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews said to HurricaneSports.com.

The Canes (13-4, 8-2) clinched the match with No. 6 sophomore Sinead Lohan’s victory in straight sets. Sophomore Wendy Zhang recorded her first career win against a top-25 opponent, beating No. 20 Joana Eidukonyte in two sets.

“Wendy played a complete match today,” Yaroshuk-Tews said to HurricaneSports.com. “When she does that, she’s capable of good things.”

The men’s tennis team, on the other hand, would like a redo to its spring schedule. The Hurricanes have lost four consecutive matches after falling to Georgia Tech and Clemson over the weekend, dropping their record since the beginning of March to 3-8.

The Canes’ loss to Clemson on Sunday was the closer of the two affairs as they were defeated 4-3. The match started with the Canes (7-11, 2-6) trailing early when they lost the doubles point. Miami came back from a 3-1 deficit to tie Clemson with one singles match remaining, but freshman Fermin Calvo lost in straight sets to Clemson’s Austin Ansari.

The Canes did not fare any better when they faced Georgia Tech on Friday, losing 5-2 to the Yellow Jackets.

The Canes lost the doubles point and continued to struggle in singles play, as only Calvo and junior Jesse Flores came away with wins.

The men’s team next plays North Carolina State at 2:30 p.m. on Friday in Coral Gables, while the women’s team travels to North Carolina to play Wake Forest at 4 p.m. also on Friday.

Friday.

Tej Joshi

Seniors Emily Gossett, Millie Chokshi, and Jason Kaplan are eager to implement their platform throug ...

Follow the sights and sounds of the pregame festivities in Orlando leading up to Saturday’s big game ...

A team of researchers created the first mapping model of its kind to track how hate spreads and adap ...

University of Miami professors who study water treatment and civil engineering say that water contam ...

University of Miami experts in health geography, law, and public health weigh in on some of the issu ...

The Hurricanes take center stage Saturday as the nation begins celebrating college football's 1 ...

Head coach Manny Diaz and The New Miami will make their debut against an old rival, facing No. 8 Flo ...

Freshman midfielder Ine Østmo joined the Hurricanes in January as an early enrolee from Mandal, Norw ...

Senior linebackers Shaquille Quarterman, Michael Pinckney and Zach McCloud have already made history ...

UM women's soccer opened its 2019 campaign by blowing past UTRGV, 4-0. ...